Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I noticed the front brake reservoir on my naked 07 is empty. It was at a good level a few weeks ago and I don't see any leaks. Oh well...

So the next thing I should do is fill it back up. Accept, I don't know how. I searched and couldn't find a how to.

Do I open it by unscrewing the two screws on top of the reservoir and pour in the fluid from there?

After I pour the fluid, I guess the next step would be to bleed it until it flows out of the bleeding places evenly?

Ummm anything else? Tips or Tricks?

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
if the fluid is gone out of the reservoir you will have to bleed the brakes to get all the air bubbles out of the lines.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
You can probably get away with just topping it off unless the res is completely dry.

ps, DON'T FILL IT UP ALL THE WAY! You need to leave some room in there for expansion, otherwise your brakes can completely lock up when the system heats up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can probably get away with just topping it off unless the res is completely dry.

ps, DON'T FILL IT UP ALL THE WAY! You need to leave some room in there for expansion, otherwise your brakes can completely lock up when the system heats up.
Good tip oreo, I definitely do not want my brakes locking up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How full was the reservoir before you noticed it being empty? Have you had this bike since new? Is this the first time you've addressed the brakes?

I ask because brake fluid doesn't just evaporate. You may notice small fluctuations in the fluid level over time, but the range of movement is minor. If the thing was full a few weeks ago, and now is empty, you need to do more than just top off the reservoir. You need to inspect the reservoir, master, brake lines, and calipers for potential leaks.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I ask because brake fluid doesn't just evaporate. You may notice small fluctuations in the fluid level over time, but the range of movement is minor. If the thing was full a few weeks ago, and now is empty, you need to do more than just top off the reservoir. You need to inspect the reservoir, master, brake lines, and calipers for potential leaks.
I was wondering about that.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Or just check pad wear. As the pads wear out more fluid drains from the res into the system to account for the missing pad material.

Though the fact that it was supposedly full a few weeks ago is disconcerting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts