Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone. New member here with some SV questions. The bike is actually my wife's, but I have had some fun seat time on it.

We've had a front brake problem for a while. The front brakes don't start to grab until the lever is pulled at least half way in. It seems like it takes forever to activate the brakes, and when they do start to grab, there is not much precision.

I've bled the system several times. I've checked the pads and pistons.

It is completely stock. I've considered putting different pads and stainless lines on it, but I really don't think this will solve the issue. It may give it a more precise feel, but the big problem is the lever travel. I'm thinking it may be a master cylinder problem.?

Any advice is appreciated. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions for you all down the road.
:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Hmm, the obvious answer would be air in the lines. Did you try replacing all of the brake fluid? You might also have something on the pads. Maybe try cleaning them. Not sure what the procedure for that is, maybe brake cleaner.

·
Registered
760 Posts
sounds like air in the lines to me, try removing the calipers from their mounts and straitening the lines as much as possible to help get any air pockets out.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
AIR!!!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hydraulic brakes are simple 99.99% of the time problems are either air in the line, or a leak.

Also- I just bought some spiegler SS lines, some 434 short levers and new fluid all around... my brakes are transformed entirely from the stock crap (7 years old).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I have a might vac and have used it. I've also bled conventionally. It is not a spongy feeling as normally felt with air in the lines. It is firm, but only after half of the lever travel.

Someone said to bleed the master. I didn't see a bleed port. Any info on how to do this? Just do a complete drain, fill and bleed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts