Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yall are probably getting fed up with my questions by now ??? Trust me, I'm getting tired of asking them. I'm learning a lot though. Before all of this the most I did to the bike was routine stuff, oil change, chain clean/lube etc... Anywho, I bought a set of Goodridge front brake lines and was about to install them when something didn't seem right. I thought the lines were only from the master cylinder to the calipers, and I kept the stock line from the reservoir to the master cylinder? The lines I have are waaaay to long. I know the left is longer than the right. The diagram that came with the lines seems to show both lines going from the reservoir to the calipers. That can't be right, the lines would be to short, and bypass the master cylinder ??? What gives? Did www.motorcyclesuperstore.com send me the wrong kit? As always, thanks for any help. -Mac

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
With most aftermarket front brake lines they eliminate that small splitter block that sits on the front fender. So you should have two much longer lines that run straight from the calipers to the master cylinder and attach using a new banjo bolt that's twice as long. The two lines will attach like this:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so the master cylinder is on the bottom of the reservoir? I attach both lines there using the longer banjo? I guess I mistook the splitter as the master cylinder ??? I'm doing all my work referring to my Haynes manual, and a Japanese parts manual. With more help here :) What is the function of the splitter, and can it be removed with the new lines? Thanks for the help. -Mac

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Yea man. the MC is the cylindrical tube that is part of the brake assembly. When you pull the leaver, it actuates the plunger that pushes out the brake fluid.

New banjo bolt. Make sure you get the right thread. It seems it's different betweeen the first and 2nd gen. Mine was fine thread. (1st gen). The one i got from a used 2nd gen set was coarse thread.

Don't forget to put proper "crush" washers between each fitting.One on either side of all banjo bolts (including at calipers). Except where the two banjos touch, in which case you only use one. So 3 in total at the lever. And two at each of the calipers. 7 in total. Get 10 as you'll screw up a few. Once you tighten them down, you should not use them again.

The splitter is there for the factory single line config only. Remove it with the old lines.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean by splitter? Are you talking about to the place where the stock single line from the master cylinder splits into two lines and connects to the calipers?

If so it is not used with your installation. As in the picture above this post both lines attach to the master cylinder with the longer banjo bolt. The longer of the two lines attaches to the caliper on the clutch side of the bike and the shorter attached to the caliper brake side.

Then its time to bleed those suckers.......

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so I'm clear. In the rear brake system the reservoir and the master cylinder are totally separate. The stock line from the res to the master stays. In the front, the reservoir and the master cylinder are connected? Am I right? I've already replaced my rear pads, and line. Bled, and all is good. -Mac

·
Registered
589 Posts
On the rear, the reservoir is separate from the master cylinder and the hose that connects them provides the path for which fluid gets to the MC and air can get out of the MC. The line is not under any pressure and there is no need to change it unless it is defective or you wanted bling.

http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-sv650y-2000-rear-master-cylinder/o/m6715sch277034

The front brake MC and reservoir are combined..

http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-mo...ster-cylinder-sv650x-y-k1-k2/o/m6715sch272106

1 - 7 of 7 Posts