Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been in storage for about 8 years now. I was about to bleed the brakes and before I started, squeezed the front brake lever. It compressed, but didn't want to return. It's like the brakes are stuck on in the master cylinder, but the bike will roll. I checked the calipers and they can be moved fine. Am i going to need a new master cylinder assembly?

Thanks in advance.
2003 SV650s

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would see if you can get just the plunger but it does sound like the master is bad. I'm no expert by any means but I would take it all apart, clean it, and verify part by part what works and what doesn't. You may get lucky and have it work after being cleaned.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rebuild is complete. I found a youtube vid to reference, so I'm fairly certain I've done everything correctly. Bleeding the brakes doesn't seem to get me anywhere though. No air/fluid coming out. No pressure building on the brake lever. Brake fluid level not going down. Just keep pumping I guess?

·
Registered
24 Posts
when i bleed my front brakes i move the lever only an inch back and forth. first i take the cover off the master cyl.then i can see tiny bubbles coming out, you might try and see if it works.

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
Unable to fill fluid from the caliper. Bleed screw is open but there is to much pressure for any fluid to go in. WTF
The caliper could be gunked-up, it would not be surprising given the bike has sat for 8 years.

Try crack the banjo bolt at the caliper, if fluid still will not flow then the caliper is clogged.

Given the master was stuck, and if you haven't already, it would be a good idea to disassemble clean/rebuild the calipers too.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Like Tee said, without a rebuild your calipers will not work properly and be unsafe to use. Suzuki specs your brake fluid be replaced every 2 years and hoses every 4. They're likely to be gunked up also. You can either rebuild yours or take this opportunity to grab a set of CBR calipers off ebay and rebuild those.

It's an easy enough job, but I'm kind of a tool nut and bought a set of these before I tackled mine. Alternatively you would rebuild your MC and then try to pump the pistons out with the brake fluid, which works ok when they're not stuck. When they are stuck you can anticipate one shooting out with great velocity while the other remains stuck, then IDK what to do. Tools last a lifetime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts