Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the rear stands which have the handle pointing to the front easier to use when working alone? Does the bike become unstable while being lifted?

I want to buy a good quality front/rear stand set, and although money is not real tight, I'd like a reasonable price...say under $200 for the set. Mainly need a rear stand for chain maintenance, but a front stand would make cleaning the front rim easier. I've heard Pit Bull mentioned, but noticed Oneida has a front/rear pair around $170. Thanks for input and advice.

Paladin

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
pit bull set is more money, but they are really well built and worth it, i have a pit bull rear stand and front center stand. both are great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up getting just the rear stand, made by Pit Bull. Wife liked the logo on the box, and the stand appears strong enough to lift a car! The welds, material used, and design are very nice.

Paladin

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I ended up getting just the rear stand, made by Pit Bull. Wife liked the logo on the box, and the stand appears strong enough to lift a car! The welds, material used, and design are very nice.

Paladin
Good choice, buying quality is never a mistake. :thumbsup:

Add the front stand when you need it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm a 120 pound weakling and can get my SV up on the forward handled rearstand by myself, but just barely. I don't think I could, or wouldn't try to, do it by myself with the standard style rearstand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a forward handle rear stand and the first time I used it I dropped the bike to the right! Stupid beginners mistake. I wasn't used to the weight. But yes, a forward handle stand should give you more control over the bike alone compared with a normal rear stand.

The only time the bike is really "unstable" is when you are trying to get the right spindle on the peg. Its easy to get the left side one one when the bike is still on the side stand, but when you bring the bike to center position to you have move the stand a bit to get it lined up. This is when I dropped my bike! The other catch is that you need to put the side stand up before raising the bike since the forward handle interferes with the side stand.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've got a PitBull forward handle rearstand.
Have to remove the tankbag to be able to lean over enough to see that the right spool is in the notch. Can just see it between the exhaust and swingarm. Once that's sorted, I can reef on it without too much worry.

When I tried to buy the stand online, the cheapest shipping I could get for it was $50. I ended up ordering it from a local shop and paid $30 less overall.

If you're buying a front stand, one that can lift from the headstock will be more useful than one that only lifts the bottom of the forks.

Most brands are reasonably durable. Even Harbour Freight stands have defenders and I have not heard of them breaking regularly :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The other catch is that you need to put the side stand up before raising the bike since the forward handle interferes with the side stand.
I don't think that's the case with mine.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
The pitbull forward handle rocks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts