Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm planning on adding clip on to my bike...I got a '03 SV650 Naked. My question is...how hard are they to install? I know they just "clip on" but I want to make sure. ...besides I looked how my bar is attached and will those holes be filled with something?

does anyone have/heard about the bikemaster daytone handlebar?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They look pretty good...I like 'em, thanks for the info Maviryk

but I agreed with neal900....Just looked at them and was wow they're nice and they must be cheap lol....yea kinda pricey (around same price as clip on) Still will keep them in mind...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a set of clipons for sale. PM me if you want them.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't forget you will probably need shorter brake lines n such going from stock bar to clip-ons.
Thanks, that's something I didn't know and would keep in mind.

that's what i'm looking for....what kind of possible changes/adjustments would I confront when switching.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
You can get Swatt clip ons. Not cheaper than OEM clip ons, or the Suburban Machinery bars, but they will be more adjustable (you can slide them up and down the fork tubes to your liking). The come up to 3.5" rise. As far as I can see in pictures, only the 2.5" and the 3.5" are built in this way, to allow use of spacers. I think I saw a pic of the 1" rise ones, and they're 2 pieces (bar and clamp) vs 3 (fork clamp, bar clamp, and bar).

Here are my 2.5" rise Swatts:

This picture shows how the spacer lets them clear the top triple fork clamp bolt:

It's a lot more of a project than just SM bars, though. You'll need another way to mount the headlight (even with stock OEM clip ons), that probably makes the SM bars the most cost effective way to get the clip on feel.

New headlight brackets:

Then there's the brake reservoir hitting the bar clamp requiring the use of more spacers in between the bar and the brake reservoir / handle clamp:

Oh yeah, I don't know about the 03, but my 08 naked has a different fork offset than an 08 S, so if yours is the same, and you want to go the route of stock clip ons, you'll also need the S top and bottom triple:

Yeah, the SM bars would have been cake compared to all this trouble. But you know what they say about hindsight...

tk

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have SWATT clip-ons w/zero rise and love them. I didn't have any clearance issues and you really don't need to change out the cables unless you just want to clean up the extra.

I have a SM type 2 bar just sitting in my storage unit now I'd be willing to sell if you want to go that route.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
the reason that suburban machinery bars are nice is because you don't have to change anything besides the bars.

no modification (cutting, welding) of the headlight bracket, no unsightly holes in the top triple tree. In order to use stock SV clipons, you need a stock SVs triple tree to accommodate the tabs on the clipons. this would require you to find a way to mount your gauges.

the list goes on. :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Forget the clip-ons. Get suburban machinery bars.
Attention, personal opinion to follow.
Super-ugly. And expensive. One could probably live with one of the options, but not both at once. :) Plus, the angle the grip mounting areas have to each other is as useless the old-style "M-Bars". With clipons, you can adjust this to your liking.
Finally it would still look like a bike with bars (albeit akward ones).

Ciao
Jan

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I have a SM type 2 bar just sitting in my storage unit now I'd be willing to sell if you want to go that route.
^^^^

do this!

if you don't like them, sell them. They hold their value in the used market indefinitely.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I"m really wondering about the "need" to go with the S triples, other than to eliminate the "unsightly" holes in the top triple... Tabs on the clip-ons? File the **** things off. It's not like they're required. Or drop the clips the .10" required so the tab clears, and rotate to your hearts' content.

S wiring? Why? As was stated on another thread, you could cut and re-solder the lines, or just pull the slack into the frame under the air box.

I've got a set of the Swatt 3.5" rise clips that I'll be selling...My mod failure thread is still somewhere on the first couple pages of the mod forum...

·
Registered
528 Posts
^^^ If someone wants to trade naked triples for SvS triples they seem to be in the minority(lots of want to trade svs for naked triple posts in the for sale section, myself included) So if he does want to have svs triples he could probably trade straight up with someone. He gets the svs triples he wants some other svrider gets the nakeds they want and everyone wins with little to no $ out of either of their pockets (except shipping).

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Here is a pic of my bike with the Suburban Machinery Type 2 bar. Install was easy, took less than an hour. They sit about 2" lower and 3/4" farther forward than the stock bar. Also, as stated above, you don't need new cables.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I"m really wondering about the "need" to go with the S triples, other than to eliminate the "unsightly" holes in the top triple... Tabs on the clip-ons? File the **** things off.
See the pics from tk1971 and compare the first photos to the last one. The top triple clamp screws are located differently and interfere (sp?) with the oem clipons. The Swatt clipons don´t have this problem.

Ciao
Jan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts