Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so someone gave me a brand new RK gold chain. Nice of them, huh? They said it was a 525. I immediately jumped online and ordered a new master link and sprockets since I was looking to replace the set anyway.

Now that I got the master link in the mail (clearly labeled 525) I see that the free chain is much bigger. Since ordering matching sprockets is cheaper than ordering a new chain, what kind of sprockets do I get? on sites like bikebandit it will always show me 525 parts since it knows my bike. What bike should I put in so that I get 530 sprockets that will fit my SV? I hear the bandit runs a 530 but does it have the same bolt pattern?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Sell the 530 chain and buy a 525. The 525 is considered overkill for the SV anyway, which is why many choose to drop to a 520, to reduce unsprung and rotating weight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Look into a SV1000 they run a 530 chain, I'm not sure if any parts cross over in regards to the drive train.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I believe SV1k sprockets will fit, they fit my V-strom that I'm running 530 in stead of 525 on.

problem with oem SV1k sprockets is gearing, oem front is 17t and oem rear sprockets are 37, 38, 39 for TLS/TLR/SV1k

fwiw, my oem 525 chain on my V-strom lasted only 16k, 530 lasted 45k

actually a BIG savings in cost per mile

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
oem rear sprockets are 38, 39, 40 for TLS/TLR/SV1k
Fixed it for you.:) A good 530 chain will run about anything on two wheels. The DID ZVM-X 530 can take turbo 'Busa type power so really no need for anything bigger these days. But, if it is for a 650, the 530 is overkill and will likely restrict your sprocket choices. But if you get it installed, and even if it is just a normal budget chain, it should handle the engine well for a long time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get that the easiest way is to buy the correct chain. But money wise, it costs a lot less to buy the correct sprockets than the correct chain.

Can anyone confirm that I will be able to run the 530 on my 650 if I buy the correct spockets?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, my sprockets just came in and there is barely any movement on these things. I can't imagine why I couldn't just use them together for a short while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts