Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 months ago I posted about my upcoming high school reunion. I was excited and couldn't wait to go.... for weeks I had been excited to see the people from 15 years gone by and maybe make some new old friends.
But disaster always seems closer by than good fortune.

A few days ago, on a whim, I went to the reunion web site and found that it had been "canceled"... well, sort of. About 100 people said they would come so a section at a large bar/club was hired to host the event. But then only 20 people actually put up cash, so it fell apart. This turned into a reserved table and we can all just hang out and buy our own drinks... There was also the promise of a refund for what we paid.

Tonight I was still excited, but also a little apprehensive about getting my hopes up. I was quite the greasy biker back then so I made sure I was freshly shaven and well dressed. Wanting there to be no doubt in anyones mind, I rode my 07 Sportster to the reunion as I rode a 72 Sportster to school. The place was packed, the parking lot was full and people were pouring in.... it was ~9:30.

I walked in and asked the guy at the door if he knew anything about the reunion, he said yes and pointed toward a table in a back section of the place. Sure enough the table had "reserved" signs on it, but no people... not one. This calls for beer, I got myself a Guiness and walked around a little.... still no people! I walked around and asked the people at nearby tables if they might be there for the reunion or had seen anyone.... nothing. I sat at the table alone, drank my beer and left.

Out of a graduating class of roughly 1,000 people, I was there alone.

I called a friend (Alex) who lives downtown and he offered to meet up. I gassed up the Sporty and headed a short distance to center city Philadelphia. After getting off the interstate I was making my way to Alex's building when a scooter pulls up right beside me, we look at each other and quickly realize that we know each other... it was Quintin! It truely is a small world. I explained the situation to him, traffic light to traffic light and we met up with Alex together.... just the 3 of us spending the night watching Top Gear. This is not how I had hoped the night would had gone, but it was stilla good night none the less. :hug: ;D

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You drank then rode:nono:

Yeah I'd never attend one of those things, of roughly 5 people I did'nt hate in highschool I still talk to 4 of them weekly so I think thats enough.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Despite the fact that my parents are still very close to our old neighbors up in Ipswich I never heard anything about my 10 year reunion or any other post graduation parties or what evers have gone on. I can't say I'd ever go back up there to see anyone but I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of how fat or bald my classmates have gotten over the years.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I missed my 10 year reunion a few years back....apparently despite the fact that my parents still lived in the small town I grew up in, I was unable to be found in order to receive an invitation....B.S..
I'm still a bit bitter.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I have do say I would find nothing worse than a high school reunion. Now I was invited to motorcycle club reunion a few years back and all the old patch members were there from the 80s. Now that was a bash worth remembering if only I could after all that drinking :)

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I went to my 10-year reunion. It was fun seeing some of the people I went to school with. I don't really hold a grudge against people I've lost contact with over the years, especially since there wasn't email or the internet when I graduated (and only rich business types had cell phones then!). Everybody has their own priorities, and that doesn't usually include keeping in close contact with everyone you knew. I think I got my first email account in my Junior year of college, so it wasn't nearly as easy as it is these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts