Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to retire my Aprilia Mille R from a track bike to a street bike. In doing so I purchased a SV 650s as it's track replacement.

Previous owner had the SV setup for super stock club racing and out weighed me by a good 60lbs. I knew I would have some work to do in order to get bike properly setup for me as well as a number of other details to make it mine.

At first I was just going to clean, prep and change spring rates and valving. One thing let to another and now I have a fulbuild on my hands. Half ZX6R half SV650 with every part (outside of new Michelin Tires) being bought used off a couple different forums, eBay and of course Craigslist.

Why a ZX6R and not a traditional GSXR swap you ask? Well I don't have a smart answer for you other than; 1) I like the design of the Kawasaki swingarm, 2) there wheels are lighter and better looking imho and 3) I just wanted to do something different.

Im open to constructive comments and even criticism if it comes with a reason. Here are some pics to keep the thread interesting:
Swingarm notched to clear shock

Battery and rectifier were relocated and bike has been rewired.

A handful of parts were taken to Full Throttle Powdercoating in Corona .CA. All bearings were replaced afterwards.

Front forks are freshly rebuilt with Ohlins 25 carts inside and a Scotts damper up top. Top/bottom yokes shaved, milled bla bla bla.

How "Frankinstine SV" sits now, just need to build exhaust and tie up some loose ends. At the end of the day I made something different with my twist AND I sure hope it works.

Thoughts?

#3N1Motorsports
#FrankensteinSV650

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI: I have a bin of leftover and mockup parts for sale from '05 SV, '03 GSXR, and 05-08 ZX6R.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Wow, interesting. I wonder what it would take to make that swingarm fit my SV1000... what year swingarm?

How long are the forks?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
07-08 I pulled parts from probably 4 or more ZX6R's to piece this all together. I have an extra swingarm (great shape) and a pair of forks (mockup shape) leftover.

Fork length was roughly the same as SV.
Wow, interesting. I wonder what it would take to make that swingarm fit my SV1000... what year swingarm?

How long are the forks?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I mentioned I rewired the bike. Part of that was to relocate the regulator to a cooler location. I'm sure an engineer much smarter than I found it best to mount it inside the frame next to the heat of the motor but I've never liked that. I mounted all the electronics in the tail with hopes that cool air will come in from under the seat and be pulled out through vents in the undertail.

I am struggling to sort out a trick mount for the Penske reservoir. Any ideas?

#3N1Motorsports
#FrankensteinSV650

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The world of internet airbox mods is full of variations. Here are a couple more.

Better A:

Better B:

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I remember seeing claims that dyno tests show stock + 1k snorkel is the best option

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
remove airbox all together and just run open stacks.

You don't need airfilter, it's a race bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Been on the road but finally got around to the exhaust. Had to make a new down tube that would snake through the pocket in the ZX6 swingarm. Also added a couple bungs to allow tunning.

#3N1Motorsports
#FrankensteinSV650

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
76 is very generous for a stock + exhaust SV

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At a minimum maybe add some urethane bushings with two clamps?
https://www.kartek.com/parts/2-reservoir-urethane-mounts-red-pair-for-15-dia-tubing.html

Also ditch that rear brake reservoir and just run some Tygon tubing and a plug. Save yourself some ounces.
Thanks for the suggestions, how do you know about Kartek do you race offroad?
I ended up sleaving the mount tube with some hose. Those Reservoir mounts are too large for the d i of the mounting tube is only half an inch. Still looking for a better solution.
You are right about the brake reservoir. I actually want to change out that whole m/c. A guy told me yesterday to get an offroad one but I don't know what will fit the mounting holes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where can I get a battery tray like yours? And would it be ok to use on a street only bike? I'm short on space under the seat so I am looking for other options.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where can I get a battery tray like yours? And would it be ok to use on a street only bike? I'm short on space under the seat so I am looking for other options.
There are a couple versions out there. I used the one from Zoran at TWF. http://www.twfracing.com/PartsPages/batterybox.html He is good to work with, I just added a couple holes and dimple died his. I also bought the battery from him but made my own cables from stuff I had.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Street wise I would ask Zoran if that batt would be enough to handle the added demands of lights.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts