Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 946 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idea for a FrankenBike build started in this thread, this post, with OfirMX being nominated and accepting to do the build.

The challenge is to build an SV650 completely from spare parts donated by SVR members. We all know SVR folks are the most generous and helpful people on the planet, and with Ofir at the helm, I believe we can pull it off.

This will be like the Pay It Forward thread. Of course Ofir will be a focused recipient here but will be paying shipping, so in no way is this a freebie. Shipping is going to add up. In return, Ofir will share all the gory build details with photos and documentation as the parts arrive and build progresses.

If for any reason the project doesn't complete, all donated parts will go up for grabs in the SVR Pay It Forward thread.

Donators will gain by contributing to a fun project, bask in good karma, and have a chance to clear unused stuff from our over-stuffed garages.

Gen1 build vs gen2 will be determined by first suitable frame donation.

Here is a start:
i can send you a spare first gen frame ...
Think I saw a free 1st gen engine posted earlier. You're off to a good start.
i might have an airbox for it too
Hey man, we're almost there!

If you have any SV parts you'd like to contribute, please post'em up and let the build begin!

·
MOTORADOR
10,841 Posts
Thanks Tee, Mad and all the others who are pushing for this. It all started as a joke but I think we can actually make this happen with everyone's support :rock:

Sent from my right shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If you go 1st gen I have the stock rear shock, stock turn signals and stock undertail that is cut up. I may have other parts, I will have to look around.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I have a 2nd gen rear shock and fork springs, (but then so does everybody else). also have stock mirrors and some brake pads with a fair amount of life left in them.

·
Greetings Program
6,284 Posts
Ghetto Sub! And I might have a piece or two...

Lowering dogbones, for example.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The best way to ship a frame is to wrap the corners in cardboard and then wrap the whole deal in plastic wrap (kitchen type will work, but the best is heavy duty stuff they use on pallets). UPS will ship it, no problem.

Another option I've never used is Greyhound busses. It's way cheaper, but you have to be there to ship on schedule and pick up on schedule.

·
Super Moderator
8,569 Posts
i need to find at least some of the paperwork for it if i still have it. unless Ofir plans to live without a title

·
MOTORADOR
10,841 Posts
Thanks again folks!

Mad8v, please let me know if you find those documents so we can make arrangements for the shipment.

Sent from my right shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have a lot of a 2nd gen front end with mildly bent fork tubes and a slight flat spot on the rim. There are the fork uppers/lowers with stock springs, S brake lines and calipers but no triple clamps. I rode with it this way for 2 years before swapping the parts out so they are still functional. Let me know if you want any of it - the parts are just taking up space in the garage.
Also have stock S rear sprocket with a fair amount of life left in it and maybe some other things in a box in the garage that I'd donate.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
This. Is. AWESOME! Let me go see what I didn't give the buyer of my bike....

All I've got is a USB charger from Pronator's group buy and SAE battery terminal wires with a fuse for it. Yours if you want 'em!

There should be an exploded SV graphic where all of the user names are connected to donated parts, a la:

·
MOTORADOR
10,841 Posts
:rock:

This is taking shape. Let me first secure Mad's Gen1 frame and we'll go from there.

Here's the first update: Mad8v does not have the actual title of the frame but he sent me a copy of a notarized 227 form "transfer of title with duplicate title". The only problem is that the notary's seal is dated June 2011. I'll check with my local DMV tomorrow and, if I can register the bike with that document, we'll make the arrangements to ship the frame and start the build ASAP.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
This is awesome. Kind of wishing I had more spare parts lying around....... :D

Want parts of a Buell? At least parts Fatty won't notice are missing right away? Fatty will be a partial Buell-haver by spring!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Oh god damnit. You stay away from my bike!!!!

I have an old dead battery from a harley...

Seriously though, if you want the clipons I'll even cover the shipping. Merry Christmas. ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 946 Posts