Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone back and forth trying to decide wether to buy frame sliders or not, I mean $100 will buy alot of other functional fixes (Fork Springs/Oil) or (Tire) for instance. So you guys that have had crashes with nates motosliders on, what else broke? (I carry spare hand levers and foot shift/brake levers on day trips, just in case) Do you break footpegs? handlebars? The radiator seems to be the achillies in a fall, i that the prime target? Please advise.....thanks. AND What about bar end sliders and swingarm sliders, the bars I understand, but why the swingarm??

·
Registered
571 Posts
they protect the most important and expensive pieces of the bike. the frame and engine.

swingarm sliders protect the next most expensive part.

in any crash you are likely to lose some of the small parts like levers and pedals and maybe even the handlebars. but the bike should be easily fixable if you are using sliders.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My radiator cap got slightly tweekend in a lowside despite having sliders, but its still functional. That plus small rash on the pipe was the only thing that made contact with the pavement. I've never dropped an SV without sliders, but I did lowside my other bike. The damage included front, side, and tail fairings, engine case covers, footpeg and controlls, bent clipon, broken turnsignal, brake level, rear footpegs, and pipe. I think sliders are woth every penny, but if you don't believe it, just wait and descide for yourself after the next crash. Saving that givi screen would already cover their price.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ton,
the Givi A755 Silver Screen is going. I just converted to Protaper bars and Buell dual headlamps. If you know anyone looking direct them to me? I think I will go ahead with the frame sliders as the Radiator is like a $300 item alone. That should justify it alone. SO do the swing arm sliders protect the pipe?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bike tipped over in a parking lot once (don't know why, it was up when I left, on the ground when I got back to the lot about an hour later, probably had something to do with a gravel covered parking lot that was on a slight slope). I had a 1/2 fingernail sized rash on the muffler and that was it. From what I saw when I got to the bike, if the sliders weren't there the bike would have been resting on the muffler and the tail section...most likely saved me from a few scuffs on the tail section right beside the passenger seat.

The swingarm slider DOES NOT prevent the muffler from hitting the ground. But they're cheap, might protect the swingarm a little, and work well with rear stands.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
TS80 said:
The swingarm slider DOES NOT prevent the muffler from hitting the ground. But they're cheap, might protect the swingarm a little, and work well with rear stands.
I think their main purpose is to protect the axle nut from being mangled........

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Ok without sliders, you may very well crap up your frame and destroy your engine cases. My friends perfectly good F4i was a total loss from a simple 1st gear wheelie tip over (leaned to one side and lost it). Didnt have sliders, the stator cover vaporized and the coils got tweaked. The motor needs a new crank and coils now. 60$ could've saved him that, but now hes got a whole side of plastic to completely replace not to mention a new motor (cheaper than trying to fix it believe it or not).

·
Registered
836 Posts
I had a 2 mph tip-over turning into a gas-station about a month ago (Must've been some oil on the ground, yeah thats it ;)) anyhoo, I went down pretty hard even though I was going so slow. I am sure that without the sliders my tank, radiator, and fairings would've been pretty screwed up. But after the embarassment, and having some old lady ask if I was ok, I picked the bike up, and didn't even find a scratch ;D. It would be silly not to get them. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I initially tried a pair of Indigo sliders (out of the Motovan catalogue avail in Canada). The replacement engine bolts they supplied weren't long enough, so when I went to torque them the threads hadn't "penetrated" deep enough into the engine casing's thread. They pulled out and ruined the engine mounts thread. They were junk. I took them back.

Next I installed Intuitive (mail ordered from California) sliders and swingarm sliders which installed beautifully. I dropped the bike in the driveway at 3km per hr and the only dmg was my trun signal (stocker) punching through the fairing.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
They'll protect your frame, engine and usually will also protect your radiator and gas tank.

Don't buy the OEM Suzuki sliders... I saw a guy go down at <20MPH and it busted right off.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the Nates Sliders that are on this forum as an advertiser are the best? (Stick out the farthest?)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Morpheous said:
So the Nates Sliders that are on this forum as an advertiser are the best? (Stick out the farthest?)
I don't know if they stick out the farthest but they're long "enough" and are of the correct grade of plastic to compress and flex but not break. They also make good highway pegs ;D

I think the 2003 has a wider radiator than the other years and is prone to damage even with sliders...

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
donniej said:
I think the 2003 has a wider radiator than the other years and is prone to damage even with sliders...
Yeah 2003 radiators suckass...

...however it has survived two lowsides. One low speed and another kinda nasty. The radiator guard is dinged but thats it. But I have seen some low speed incididents where the radiator got mangled even with nates sliders. So I really dont know, its a wreck to wreck basis.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I have a set of Intuitive Pros on my '02 SVS. I guarantee they saved the tank and frame in a low-speed getoff. They won't save the plastics - that's not what they're for.

The '05 radiator is 40mm narrower than the '03-'04. Still wide - but a solid inch and a half narrower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts