Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I recently had a decent high speed wreck. I was going approx 80mph and an SUV came into my lane. To a make long story short I chose the ditch over head on collision. My bike first ran across a soft embankment which prob slowed the bike way down then it slid down a hill. We recently had a lot of rain so everything was pretty soft. As far as I know the bike did not ht anything hard. Had a few hard parts bend/break ( clutch lever, left side rearset ) other than that it was all cosmetic damage.

What Im wondering is if yall think I could have any frame damage or fork damage. Everything appears to be ok. No crack in frame welds. I took the forks completely off the bike eyeballed them and set a leveler on exposed rod and they seem straight. However, when I measured the wheelbase it was LONGER than what is listed for a 2006 sv650s wheelbase by a few inches. IDK if i measured it wrong or what. Its from axle to axle right? Could my wreck have cause the wheelbase to EXTEND? Seems the wheelbase would shrink if anything.... Any advice? Thanks

EDIT: I can take pictures of needed

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Never heard of a wheelbase extending from an impact. A few inches is enough that it would require visibly bent forks or cracked frame anyway.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so maybe I measured wrong or got the wrong stats for the wheelbase? Thats what Im hoping. Like I said, no visible damage to frame or forks. The forks can go through their full stroke without any hiccups and no cracks in frame welds or oddities anywhere that I saw. I think I measured wrong. hmmmm

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
It's not *quite* the same as wheelbase but axle to axle should be within a couple mm of it.

Wheelbase varies some with gearing and chain wear anyway, so there's no one right number. The problem that can happen is twist.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Unless the bike went for a serious tumble, I'd be surprised if you did any major frame damage. The forks, however, can bend fairly easily if they take a direct hit, though you can usually see a little tweak if you're riding straight and the top triple clamps are "crabbing" sideways a little bit.

If you're concerned, bring it to a shop and have them check frame/fork alignment to make sure.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
What I would recommend to do is check to see if the forks are bent, I doubt the frame is (but it is possible).

Remove the fork tubes and rotate the inner part of the forks while holding the outer tube still. You will notice the inner part will wobble as you turn it if they are bent.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the forks off last night and this morning I turned them as drinkbrew described. I could not feel any sort of wobble and they twisted around without any resistance. I think Im just being paranoid since I heard SV forks bend easy. Like I said earlier the bike never really hit anything solid head on or otherwise. It kind of just slid down a hill after scraping against a soft embankment.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Don't remove the fork leg, just loosen up the triple clamp pinch bolts and turn the upper fork leg while it's still in the triple clamp. This way the bike is holding the top part of it steady.

Sliding the axle back through might help you eyeball it, too.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ I did that yesterday before I took them off the bike and they twisted around just fine w/o any protest or "wobbling". The axle slides in and out of the triples just fine and doesnt seem to be misaligned or anything.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awesome! thanks for the advice guys! :eek:ccasion14:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts