Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding home last night and found a way to get the engine to shut off and flash the FI.

Go 60km/h (about 40mp/h) or faster in proper gear (ie ~3500 rpm). Then pull in the clutch (and keep it pulled in for the whole process) and let off the throttle. You should be coasting @ idle rpm. Then lightly blip your throttle.

If you do a small blip, the tach needle won't even move (it would if you were stopped). If you do a super short blip juuust big enough to budge the needle, the bike will shut off and flash FI.

I freaked out the first time it happened since in the 5 years of owning I've never stalled or killed the bike while moving. 3~ seconds later I just hit the starter and continued.

This morning my co-worker and I swapped bikes so I can try it on his (mine is '03 his is '05). On my first try I got it to FI @ ~70km/h.

Anyone know why? Seems like an electrical issue. Maybe the ECU is getting confused when comparing values of some sensors, like crank rotation speed vs drive?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I was riding home last night and found a way to get the engine to shut off and flash the FI.

Go 60km/h (about 40mp/h) or faster in proper gear (ie ~3500 rpm). Then pull in the clutch (and keep it pulled in for the whole process) and let off the throttle. You should be coasting @ idle rpm. Then lightly blip your throttle.

If you do a small blip, the tach needle won't even move (it would if you were stopped). If you do a super short blip juuust big enough to budge the needle, the bike will shut off and flash FI.

I freaked out the first time it happened since in the 5 years of owning I've never stalled or killed the bike while moving. 3~ seconds later I just hit the starter and continued.

This morning my co-worker and I swapped bikes so I can try it on his (mine is '03 his is '05). On my first try I got it to FI @ ~70km/h.

Anyone know why? Seems like an electrical issue. Maybe the ECU is getting confused when comparing values of some sensors, like crank rotation speed vs drive?
it doesn't do it in neutral as well?

2 things, I can't say any engine likes having the throttle blipped like that and second why were you doing that in the first place?!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think a small blip is harming anything...i often give a clutch in blip when down shifting for a corner to help match wheel speed and engine speed. Maybe I'm not reading it right, but I don't think he's harming anything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
and second why were you doing that in the first place?!
To match engine revs with the lower gear while downshifting to prevent rear wheel skip/slide.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
To match engine revs with the lower gear while downshifting to prevent rear wheel skip/slide.
Ok you guys aren't reading it correctly. He was not blipping the throttle to match rpms while downshifting. He is barely hitting the throttle for a half second then lets it out. No engine likes it when you do that.

·
Registered
13 Posts

i'm glad i found this thread. because i was starting to wonder if my plugs were going bad.

this has happened to me about 3 times in ~4000 miles of riding. i never was able to connect the 3 occasions and why it happened until i read your thread.

i was driving home today, in the middle lane going about 75 mph indicated when the light turned yellow. i immediately pulled in and held in the clutch and prepared to stop in case the car right in front of me decided to brake. he didn't brake, so i decided to speed up and beat the yellow light. i dropped a gear, blipped the throttle, and my engine cut out.

so there i was, coasting through a red light :(. lol...

so right now i'm still going 55ish mph, with the clutch pulled in, in 5th gear. hit the starter, engine didn't turn on. flipped kill switch on/off, and hit the starter, still wouldn't turn on. coasted to a stop on the right side of the road, and turned her back on. and everything was fine. i was fortunate though that there were no cars behind me (as i was the last one through the red light).

this has happened to me 2 other times, but those were at like 15 mph on side roads. engine cutting out at 55mph on a highway though is not cool... i'm glad i was able to come here and figure out what had happened.

what could i have done better? ease out the clutch while coasting to start engine back up? or did i do the right thing by coming to a stop before turning the engine back on? what else could i have done?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I am no SV expert but if your motor dies while you are riding along, something is wrong. There isn't necessarily something you could do better other than to start doing diagnostics to find out what the problem is. ???

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
i was driving home today, in the middle lane going about 75 mph indicated when the light turned yellow. i immediately pulled in and held in the clutch and prepared to stop in case the car right in front of me decided to brake. he didn't brake, so i decided to speed up and beat the yellow light. i dropped a gear, blipped the throttle, and my engine cut out.
Your idle may set be a tad low. It should be 1,300 RPM. Make sure the idle is set properly (with bike fully warmed up). Once the idle is set, see if you can recreate the problem. Pick a safe setting for your test.

what could i have done better? ease out the clutch while coasting to start engine back up? or did i do the right thing by coming to a stop before turning the engine back on? what else could i have done?
If you were going 55 mph in 5th gear, it would have been safer to momentarily let the clutch out to try to re-start the engine. Since your road speed was still matched to your transmission gearing this wouldn't have been a problem. Coasting to a stop among highway traffic is dangerous since you become a rolling-sitting duck.

In general, there is some danger in letting the clutch out while the engine is stopped since a mismatch between road speed and gearing can cause the bike to skid or lurch.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your idle may set be a tad low. It should be 1,300 RPM. Make sure the idle is set properly (with bike fully warmed up). Once the idle is set, see if you can recreate the problem. Pick a safe setting for your test.

If you were going 55 mph in 5th gear, it would have been safer to momentarily let the clutch out to try to re-start the engine. Since your road speed was still matched to your transmission gearing this wouldn't have been a problem. Coasting to a stop among highway traffic is dangerous since you become a rolling-sitting duck.

In general, there is some danger in letting the clutch out while the engine is stopped since a mismatch between road speed and gearing can cause the bike to skid or lurch.

Hope that helps!

i was thinking about letting the clutch out to "push-start" the engine back to life, but honestly i chickened out. i didn't want to risk it not turning back on and losing a whole lot of speed due to engine braking. would letting out the clutch have guaranteed the engine firing back on?

is it even possible to use the starter to turn the engine back on while coasting in gear?

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
I've got an 07 (auto adjusting idle type, like all the 07+s) and don't suffer from anything like this...

On the weird side, it IS fun to go 70 mph and then hit the kill switch :D
Nothing like coasting around on an air pump! And then hitting the kill switch again and watching the bike start itself! High speed bump start :p

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
is it even possible to use the starter to turn the engine back on while coasting in gear?
Sure, so long as nothing is wrong with the bike it will start right up!

When you tried it perhaps there was so much going through your mind at the time you didn't hold the button down long enough or something...

·
Registered
119 Posts
This happened to me a couple times after I first bought the bike, but only at stop signs. I would blip the throttle ever so slightly before I would start releasing the clutch, and the bike would make a little pop and stall out. Never had any problem restarting and it hasn't happened ever since. Probably because blipping the throttle at a stop sign is pointless and annoying to the people around you, so I quit doing it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is your conclusion?
from the OP's post, i figured WHAT caused it was blipping the throttle while coasting in gear.

as for the reason WHY, i'm guessing the ECU thinks ur inputting throttle therefore goes out of the idling circuit. but because there wasn't enough fuel delivered, the engine stalls out. (i'm just guessing this out of my ass)

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
I believe what's happening is that when you quickly blip the throttle, you're asking the FI or carburetor to instantly provide more fuel and air.

Since it takes a finite amount of time for the FI or carbs to respond to this request, the mixture to the engine may be off for a couple of engine cycles and cause a misfire or two. This isn't a problem at higher RPMs since engine inertia will keep things going.

At idle, especially very low idle, a couple of missed combustion cycles is enough to kill the engine. Anyway, that's my .02. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts