Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I picked up my SV last night. A very clean 07 naked with a full Yoshi and a hot bodies under tail kit. The guy also lowered it, which is fine for my short inseam. Only 1500 miles.

Sweet bike. I only rode it a little bit last night to get the feel for it. I've been riding the last 5 years on a '79 Kawasaki KZ650 and the power and weight difference is amazing. I love that old KZ but I'm def ready to ride the SV a lot more.

It sounds great with the Yoshi pipe on there but there is a slight stumble. Theres no power commander or the like installed. I've read some mixed reviews on here about there effectiveness on the 07-08's. Can anyone give me some advice?

Just realized now that my photobucket account is blocked by the firewall here and I cannot load up a link to the image of my bike. I have a pic here on my computer if someone knows a way around my firewall here at work. Funny I can even get on this forum to be honest.

Will post up later.

-Stumpy

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm new, too, and have found a wealth of information here.

By the way, that Yosh exhaust is kinda loud; I'll "store it" for you out here in the sparsely populated wilds of Washington so it won't offend anyone. ;D

·
Chief Greeter
28,485 Posts
Hi StumpyandhisSV, Welcome to SVR.

Is that a full exhaust system? What color bike did you get?

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. The exhaust is a full Yoshi system. The guy even gave me all the old parts including the entire old exhaust system, fender and turn signals and standard length suspension links. Plus some sweet yoshi stickers which will be lucky to see the side of my tool box. I'm stoked but of course I would buy a new bike and the forcast for the next 9 out of 10 days here in the Buffalo area is high 30's low 40's rain and snow... LOL. Ha oh well. Anyways here's a pic for you...

Notice the sweet chainguard/license plate holder that the previous owner made? It looked good until I went to bolt my plate to it and the weld holding the curved plate holder to the guard broke due to poor penetration. Good thing I have some fab skills myself cause I really like the look of it and will fix and use it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
that there is a nice truck bike combo. looking good.

i am forced to say this by the gods of SVR- get some motosliders

·
Registered
919 Posts
Welcome welcome. That is a beautiful bike you've got there. Suck about the weather there. It'll be worth the wait.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's going to be plenty of summer for me to enjoy my bike... just wish it was right now is all of course.

Blue is my favorite color. Tho I really like black vehicles. My snowmobile is black and yellow.

I'm going to have to wash the truck and get a real nice picture of both. I got the 'MC a little dirty going to a bonfire.

The KZ 650 SR isn't going anywhere. It's actually my father's bike, but he never really rode it, so I had it all in my name til now. Though he plans on riding it more this coming summer which is great. I hope to get out on it some as well. It's still a fun bike and pretty much the '79 equivelent of what the SV is.

Some good bolt through frame sliders are def on the list! Motosliders look like they're the right price too. Still wondering if the PCIII usb is worth it or not for the '07 and if it should be on the list too? Otherwise I think the only other thing I want to do is either get different mirrors or get mirror extenders because I'm staring straight at my shoulders. I'm short but I'm wide. Oh and I'll have to put some lights on the plate too 'cause it doesn't have any now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I put 70 miles on the bike yesterday and I've got to say I was very impressed. So fluid in the turns and it accelerates amazingly well if you're in the right gear of course. Very very happy with my purchase. I cranked up my preload in the front to help with the diving and that should be fine for now. I will look into the suspension upgrades later. For now I want to just get to know the bike and have fun with it before I begin to tinker with it. I have done a lot of tinkering with my snowmobile and know that once I start I wont be able to stop.

I took a few more pics with my cell phone. I dont know what I did with my digital camera.

Here's one of the exhaust side

and one of the custom chainguard plate holder the PO made for it which I had to fix because the welds broke LOL... no biggie.

I'm very stoked about this bike!

·
Registered
533 Posts
is that license plate bracket legal? and I'm guessing you have your turn signals integrated into your brakelight? looks nice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is that license plate bracket legal? and I'm guessing you have your turn signals integrated into your brakelight? looks nice.

The bike has the hotbodies undertail kit with integrated turn signals.

As far as the plate mount goes I know it needs lights of some sort but the chopper guys have been mountin their plates sideways for years in that location... I dont know if that means its legal or not but its been done before on a motorcycle. Tho I couldnt find a good pic of a curved mount I have seen them before. I'm going to add a light somehow, probably with lighted bolts and call it good til I get pulled over for it.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p171/mikew305/2006 Toy Run/08-WestonChopper.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=137&prev=/images?q=chopper+plate&gbv=2&hl=en

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/cadillac_hybrid_chopper_image_1.jpg

I dont see it being much different than this if I add the lights to it...

http://www.1tail.com/sa/cart/detail.asp?pg={4F100B60-C9BB-40E2-85BB-51FCB99C1BB7}

http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Chain_Guard_and_License_Plate_Holder_Suzuki_GSX-R_1000_(05-06).htm

·
Registered
533 Posts
The bike has the hotbodies undertail kit with integrated turn signals.

As far as the plate mount goes I know it needs lights of some sort but the chopper guys have been mountin their plates sideways for years in that location... I dont know if that means its legal or not but its been done before on a motorcycle. Tho I couldnt find a good pic of a curved mount I have seen them before. I'm going to add a light somehow, probably with lighted bolts and call it good til I get pulled over for it.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p171/mikew305/2006 Toy Run/08-WestonChopper.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=137&prev=/images?q=chopper+plate&gbv=2&hl=en

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/cadillac_hybrid_chopper_image_1.jpg

I dont see it being much different than this if I add the lights to it...

http://www.1tail.com/sa/cart/detail.asp?pg={4F100B60-C9BB-40E2-85BB-51FCB99C1BB7}

http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Chain_Guard_and_License_Plate_Holder_Suzuki_GSX-R_1000_(05-06).htm

Yeah I'm still debating how I am going to clean up my tail end, I bought a clear alternatives integrated tail light but I am not sure if I'm gonna install it. I also hear the hotbodies isn't that bright either.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I'm still debating how I am going to clean up my tail end, I bought a clear alternatives integrated tail light but I am not sure if I'm gonna install it. I also hear the hotbodies isn't that bright either.
When my girl was driving behind me the day I picked it up she said that the turn signals weren't that easy to see. So I dunno if I like that much. I was also thinking of making it so that the tail lights themselves blinked with the turn signal... have both the hotbodies that it has now and the integrated signal. Is that the kit you bought? Where it makes your stop and running lights into turn signals? I wonder if I can even do both? I'm sure I can as long as the resistance and such is correct.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When my girl was driving behind me the day I picked it up she said that the turn signals weren't that easy to see. So I dunno if I like that much. I was also thinking of making it so that the tail lights themselves blinked with the turn signal... have both the hotbodies that it has now and the integrated signal. Is that the kit you bought? Where it makes your stop and running lights into turn signals? I wonder if I can even do both? I'm sure I can as long as the resistance and such is correct.
If you know anything about wiring you should be able to splice them togethor. But i dunno I hear the clear alternative integrated tail light makes your stop/running lights less bright

·
Registered
3 Posts
*Drools*

Maybe coming to the forum was a bad idea.... I'm literally dying now from the anticipation of buying one of these bikes lol!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
*Drools*

Maybe coming to the forum was a bad idea.... I'm literally dying now from the anticipation of buying one of these bikes lol!
DO IT!!!

I did a lot of research. Too much. I lurked on a lot of forums including this one. In the end after a few years of wanting to get a new bike (got my permit in '02 and started looking at a different bike as early as '03 its what 09 now) I realized the SV was the way to go.

Other bikes I was considering included the Ducati Monster, Buell Lighnting, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Kawasaki Versys and the Ninja 650... I was even thinking of getting a Harley Nightster... man I like those. The SV won out for a few reasons. I wanted something that handled well, had realistic usable power for the street, had good braking, the ability to commute daily if need be as well as perhaps go on an occasional long distance haul. Basically I needed a bike that could do it all. Oh and I wanted it to look good. The SV gives me that in a better overall package than any of the other bikes I mentioned. Plus the price was right. Fuel economy was right as well. All the factors were correct and was what helped to make my decision.

I have less than 100 miles under my belt on this bike but several thousand in total riding motorcycles and can honestly say this bike is exactly what I wanted in a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts