Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like many SV owners, am unhappy with the stiffness of my forks. I know that I can put a gsx-r 750/1000 fork on there, and i was just wondering if someone could direct me to, or email me a full, step-by-step, break down of the whole procedure, what parts ill need to swap, the tools needed, and possibly estimated cost and time.

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
the whole point of swapping the forks is so that you have more adjustments available to you, if you are changing the front, you obviously need to change the back out also. the best bet for the front is to get the racetech springs and emulators in there and a ohlins shock in back, but thats my opinion

·
Registered
121 Posts
IMHO unless you are planning on riding many a track day or extremely hard on the street, it's not worth the money and hassle to swap the entire thing. You can greatly enhance the front end with new springs an oil, I got Sonic .90 with 20w oil and it is amazing the difference. About 100 bucks shipped(dont recall exactly) but only took me an afternoon to do.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Jiff84 said:
IMHO unless you are planning on riding many a track day or extremely hard on the street, it's not worth the money and hassle to swap the entire thing. You can greatly enhance the front end with new springs an oil, I got Sonic .90 with 20w oil and it is amazing the difference.
Well sure. But since I put in emulators I never want to look back (I´d done the spring and oil swap two years before already). They are really an great upgrade for a reasonable price. Strongly recommended.
I now have a gixxer front to be installed, but mainly for easy on-the-fly adjustment (the better brakes are a nice add-on as well...) and the emulators sold me to good suspension.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jiff84 said:
IMHO unless you are planning on riding many a track day or extremely hard on the street, it's not worth the money and hassle to swap the entire thing. You can greatly enhance the front end with new springs an oil, I got Sonic .90 with 20w oil and it is amazing the difference. About 100 bucks shipped(dont recall exactly) but only took me an afternoon to do.
...if you take your time and search for the right price it's really not that expensive...I'm doing my GSX-R swap for less then $400.....about the same amount as my JMV lowers....

·
Registered
597 Posts
dgmastrin said:
...if you take your time and search for the right price it's really not that expensive...I'm doing my GSX-R swap for less then $400.....about the same amount as my JMV lowers....
What are you doing about the speedo?

Who is setting/rebuilding the used suspension for ya?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Jiff84 said:
I STRONGLY disagree. The suspension and brake swap was the best thing I could have done to my SV. You'll never match the feel and power of lighter, bigger brake rotors and huge brake calipers with the stock setup, and the adjustable forks and shock make the bike MUCH more rewarding to ride, even at a moderate pace. It just feels right. The stock setup does not.

If you can find a used front end you can do the job for very little. I paid 175CDN for the forks, triples, brakes, rotors and rear shock off an SRAD 750. I think that is much better than buying new internals and hoping it improves the feel a little. And you get the full adjustability of the GSXR parts, which you can never get on the SV bits.

If you put forks on, you need to put a matching / similar rear shock in as well. Otherwise its tankslapper hell and you'll end up with and unrideable bike.

·
Registered
597 Posts
TestaStretta said:
I STRONGLY disagree. The suspension and brake swap was the best thing I could have done to my SV. You'll never match the feel and power of lighter, bigger brake rotors and huge brake calipers with the stock setup, and the adjustable forks and shock make the bike MUCH more rewarding to ride, even at a moderate pace. It just feels right. The stock setup does not.

If you can find a used front end you can do the job for very little. I paid 175CDN for the forks, triples, brakes, rotors and rear shock off an SRAD 750. I think that is much better than buying new internals and hoping it improves the feel a little. And you get the full adjustability of the GSXR parts, which you can never get on the SV bits.

If you put forks on, you need to put a matching / similar rear shock in as well. Otherwise its tankslapper hell and you'll end up with and unrideable bike.
$$$$$....in that case just put a down payment on a 600 that can school the Sv three ways from sunday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
treoff said:
What are you doing about the speedo?
....bought Jim's kit and the digikey item allready.....

treoff said:
Who is setting/rebuilding the used suspension for ya?
....I can set my own suspension....only been a wrench-head for 10 years...I don't think for my weight and riding I'll need to rebuild....I understand the benefits, just not right now....if I get into tracking/racing then yeah....and I'd probably go out to Cali (got friends and rellies that live there) and visit the SVRaceShop guys....get it done in person....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.