Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought my 2k5 sv650s the forks make a noise kinda like a muffled goose honk when they compress. Is this normal? I have a little over 300 miles till my first service. Should I take it to the dealership now or wait till the service? :? I usually ignore all the normal noises it makes (valvetrain, tranny, clutch) as long as all the fluids are good. Maybe I need to just get a new can so I don't notice anything anymore. oh yeah, and an unrelated question. My pass switch doesn't exactly make the lights flicker, i push it and about a half a second later the lights get brighter, tapping the switch quickly does absolutley nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Take it back and tell them. They'll fix it. (the switch)

The forks... I thinks it's a normal noise. The fluid has to pass through a set of holes. ANd when you push it through there (especially when it's mixed with air) it can make some rather funky noises.

The easiest fix... drain the stock crappy fluid and replace it with some heavy weight oil (20 wt or 30 wt depending on your weight).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was pretty sure it was normal, was just making sure it wasn't a metal on metal sound. thanks

·
Administrator
11,016 Posts
Yup, normal.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
As already mentioned, the sounds you hear are your forks begging for fresh oil. With stock fork springs, I'd go for 15 wt unless you're a heavy guy. Then I'd go for 20 wt. 30 wt oil is unduly heavy, and will make your forks unusually stiff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts