Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I set my 03 Sv650s down going a little too quick into a tight turn and bent my rim and forks.

I replaced the rim and got the forks straightened at my local shop. They were able to get then to within a couple thou and replaced seals and oil.

This season when I took it out of storage a noticed the fork tube that was straightened is leaking some oil at the top of the seal.

What do you guys think would be more worth while for the money.

Replace them with the OEM forks or go out and swap them with the GSXR front end.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am a fan of the GSX-R forks myself. I like being able to take full advantage of the external adjustments. They perform much better and look amazing on an SV compared to the stock forks. Plus used GSX-R forks are much easier to come by and usually cheaper, but you also have to worry about wheel, brakes, rotors, and triples.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
well, mine was about $1200 complete, fender, lines etc..

·
Registered
827 Posts
Get stock forks, and have them reworked with emulators and springs for your weight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine ended up costing me about $550, but I made almost all of it back by selling my left-over SV parts (which you wont be able to do for some of your parts). A week later I did a GSXR shock swap, cost me $45, and those too mods have been the best money I have ever spent on my bike.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I put the correct springs and emulators in my stock forks and I was never happy. I was constantly changing the settings on the emulators and oil viscosity. I could never get them right.

This winter I switched to a GSXR 1000 front end and I have never been so happy with my bike. It handles so well and you don't have to take the forks apart to change the dampening. Now don't get me wrong everything was fine with the old forks but I was not satisfied.

I think the swap cost me around $1200 but my front end was in working condition and I sold it to off set the costs. I also did all the work myself, it wasn't very hard. I got most things from the forum and ebay.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
wheres a good place to look for the gsxr shocks? is there a kit for it all?
The best place is ebay and various forums classified sections. There is no kit for it. You have to piece it together yourself. Read the stickied links and the FAQ section. This site is good as well. Seriously, do some research, all the information is out there.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
my buddy is in he process of doing the gsxr swap and in the end its gonna end up costing him about 1200

i cant wait to do mine

IMO the gsxr swap would be better, because it has the external adjustments...if you are using it for the street, you could set it for that and then if you take it for a track day you can adjust it to be stiffer

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have to replace forks, go for the ugrade: GSXR.
Hell, I'm trying to replace the Gixx 6 forks I have (conventionals) with the 750 USD's.
Ebay, keep looking, especially if you don't mind a few scratches.
Some of these quotes seem high, 5-600 should get you there.
Once you get the forks, change the oil & get the right springs. Sonics are pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Some of these quotes seem high, 5-600 should get you there.
i think whn people said that high of a price they meant the entire swap.

i know my buddy payed 290 for his forks and the triples, but he needs to replaced the fork seals. hes gonna end up paying 1200 because hes gonna end up having to the rest of the front end needed--wheel, fender, brake lines, radial master, clip ons, rotors, calipers, axle, fork seals.

although i think hes gonna put it together and ride it without a fender and the stock lines and master until its finished the way he wants

·
Registered
7 Posts
He paid that much & they needed new seals? All I can say is I wouldn't have paid that much.
I don't want to start an argument, but I just saw a complete 07 Gixx 6 front go for $315: forks, fender, radial calipers with stock lines, m/c, clip-ons, triple tree, & controls. Needed an axle & a brake lever. Add shipping costs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170325565545&sspagename=STRK:MEDWX:IT&viewitem=
I checked out at $225.
There's bargains out there if you're willing to look.
$100 +/- rim w/ rotors, fender around $50, add a black spray job.
steel braided lines brand new are around $80.
New bearings for the stem from AllBalls is around $20.
You're using the tire you already have.

If you go all radial, yes, you'll pay more.
The price of clip-ons surprizes me, but that's the part that always snaps off in a crash. Just like the plastic brake fluid reservoir.
If you stay in the 2000-2003/4 years you can do pretty well. Check on the WERA board, or other race forums, for guys getting rid of old (to them) stuff. Anything GSXR is a HUGE upgrade.
I'm more concerned with the handling upgrade than the cool looks, so a set of forks with some rash on them doesn't bother me. I'm watching a set like that right now at $12. I just can't pass up a bargain.
The pristine set that ends earlier is already at $51.
Type in different terms in the Search box, most Gixxer stuff fits multiple models.

When my USD's are ready I'll be selling the standards with the triple on here. They have fresh oil & .90 Sonic springs (175# rider). In my mind that offsets what I'm spending. PM me with offers ;D

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
yeah i completely understand im just putting what he got them for...it was also an auction, and someone was trying to out bid him, he also didnt want to let the set go, at the time it was the only black and gold set that he could find. he was actually willing to pay alot more

but when i do mine(which probably wont be til next january because of funds) i might even get in touch with you because it seems like you know where to find the right deals

·
Registered
101 Posts
He paid that much & they needed new seals? All I can say is I wouldn't have paid that much.
I don't want to start an argument, but I just saw a complete 07 Gixx 6 front go for $315: forks, fender, radial calipers with stock lines, m/c, clip-ons, triple tree, & controls. Needed an axle & a brake lever. Add shipping costs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170325565545&sspagename=STRK:MEDWX:IT&viewitem=
I checked out at $225.
There's bargains out there if you're willing to look.
$100 +/- rim w/ rotors, fender around $50, add a black spray job.
steel braided lines brand new are around $80.
New bearings for the stem from AllBalls is around $20.
You're using the tire you already have.

If you go all radial, yes, you'll pay more.
The price of clip-ons surprizes me, but that's the part that always snaps off in a crash. Just like the plastic brake fluid reservoir.
If you stay in the 2000-2003/4 years you can do pretty well. Check on the WERA board, or other race forums, for guys getting rid of old (to them) stuff. Anything GSXR is a HUGE upgrade.
I'm more concerned with the handling upgrade than the cool looks, so a set of forks with some rash on them doesn't bother me. I'm watching a set like that right now at $12. I just can't pass up a bargain.
The pristine set that ends earlier is already at $51.
Type in different terms in the Search box, most Gixxer stuff fits multiple models.

When my USD's are ready I'll be selling the standards with the triple on here. They have fresh oil & .90 Sonic springs (175# rider). In my mind that offsets what I'm spending. PM me with offers ;D
Well I'm the buddy Mattman912 is talking about. I picked up the 04 GSXR front end with trips for 290. Gold and black. You mentioned an 07 that you saw go cheap. Well thats an 07... requires much more modding than an 04 swap would. I like my steering stops and ignition. lol I'll explain my reasoning like this.
Looks, DO matter to me. After all, it's already a chick magnet, why not make it better;D.
I paid 150 for a wheel WITH rotors, 325 shipped for the forks and trips, 75 for the seals, about 90 for the clip-ons, 80 for the calipers, 15 for the speedo, 20 for the magnets, 80 for new break pads, 60 for a fender, various nuts and bolts for about 20 bucks, about 50-70 bucks for the various tools needed, and 350 for a set of new tires installed. (My old ones are more than shot. We're talking metal showing here).
All of that added up equals 1,335. And I didnt even mention the radial stuff.
While the bike is apart Im also upgrading the rear shock and sprockets and chain.
So altogether the whole upgrade is quite a pretty penny no matter how you look at it. If you save on one thing, you'll discover another that you didnt plan for in your budget.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts