Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum, and looked at www.bluepoof.com for help on these issues to no avail. Anywho, I finally got my new seals and oil and am in the process of rebuilding them. I got the left fork damper bolt out with little trouble. The Haynes manual seems to show the damper rod seat just falling out. Mine will not come out. What's the problem? Second problem, is that the damper bolt in the right fork just spins. The manual talks about a special tool from Suzuki, but I don't have access to one. Is there a shade tree way around this? If not, I may have to take it to a mech. Thanks for any advice. -Mac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,834 Posts
To get the right side damper rod out, you have to hold it in place by putting pressure on the top of it, inside the fork, and unscrewing the bolt. What I used was a $5 toilet plunger. I sharpened the top end of the wooden handle to a point, then cut out a small piece from the rubber business end, and wrapped it around the sharpened point, and glued it in place with jbweld. Just enough to cover the spike with rubber.

The rubber seemed to provide more friction than other recommendations, like broom handles and metal rods, etc. It was a real pain but I got it off and on without any leaks.

Found a pic of it. May work for you, or it may not :p

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To get the right side damper rod out, you have to hold it in place by putting pressure on the top of it, inside the fork, and unscrewing the bolt.
Are you referring to right because that is the one giving me problems, or is there something different with the right side? I'll definitely try the plunger tool. Any ideas about the rod seat? Thanks! -Mac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,834 Posts
I also had trouble with one of them only (the other one came out no problem) but I don't remember which side it was. Not sure if it's something different universally.

As for the seat, you should be able to nudge it or pull it out with a hook. It isn't attached in any way. Only held in place by the rod and bolt.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,820 Posts
Reassemble the fork and try loosening the damper rod bolt that way.

If it still won't come loose, try the sharpened stick method.

If that won't work, drill out the head of the allen bolt with a brand new 7/16ths drill bit and go to Home Depot or Lowes and get another allen screw.

No big deal, you still have lots of choices.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
47 Posts
My brother-in-law and I rebuilt both of our sv forks last weekend. We had the exact same problem. Talk about frustrating...

We made the mistake of trying to loosen the bolt after we already had the end-cap and internals out.

We ended up having to mount the forks on a vice, insert the spring and spacer, then have him push hard on the spacer until the bolt came loose. It took some serious straining.

For reassembly we inserted the spring and spacer tube again and had him push until I could tighten the bolt enough that I thought it wouldn't leak fluid. Final torquing of the bolt happened after the fork was rebuilt.

It was our first time rebuilding forks and it took us about 4 hours to do both sets. Don't worry, you'll get it. :eek:ccasion14:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,422 Posts
It helps a lot if you:

a) use an impact wrench.

b) be pulling the fork tube apart as you hit the bolt with the impact. I.e., if you have the slider clamped upside down in a vise, pull down hard on the fork tube as you're trying to loosen the bolt with the impact. Works 95%+ of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,244 Posts
To get the right side damper rod out, you have to hold it in place by putting pressure on the top of it, inside the fork, and unscrewing the bolt. What I used was a $5 toilet plunger. I sharpened the top end of the wooden handle to a point, then cut out a small piece from the rubber business end, and wrapped it around the sharpened point, and glued it in place with jbweld. Just enough to cover the spike with rubber.

The rubber seemed to provide more friction than other recommendations, like broom handles and metal rods, etc. It was a real pain but I got it off and on without any leaks.

Found a pic of it. May work for you, or it may not :p


I really hope you bought a new plunger for the task, and didn't use one that had already been...ummm....used. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. A little tap tap with a rubber mallet got the seat out on both forks. Also, putting the spring and spacer for pressure got the bolt out on the right fork :) Will rebuild this week, hope all goes well. Thanks again! -Mac
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top