Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about doing the GSXR fork swap on my 08 ABS naked. Before I get too excited about this, does anybody know if the ABS system introduces complications into the swap? Has anyone done a fork swap on an ABS bike?

If it won't work, then I'll have to be satisfied with modifying the stock forks...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I was thinking about doing this, but the GSXR rotor will have to be retroftted with the ABS slotted wheel thing (yeah, real technical term).

I imagined fashioning a bracket for the sensor on the GSXR fork wouldn't be a problem. But I can't use the SV rotor (which the slotted wheel is mounted on) because it is the wrong size for a GSXR. Someone suggested maybe the rotor and ABS slotted wheel from a Vstrom or something, but I never explored this further.

Seems easy enough: Use stock ABS brake lines and connect to GSXR calipers. Use either stock or GSXR MC. Find a way to mount the ABS sensor on the fork and the corresponding ABS wheel on the rotor (which is on the GSXR wheel).

I gave up. I ended up upgraded my front end with emulators and GSXR calipers. Everything works.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics if you succeed.

tk

·
Registered
140 Posts
ABS bikes are a *****. Easiest route is stock forks w/upgraded internals and a rear shock with remote res.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I think I'll choose ABS hands down. I commute, so ABS is valuable to me.

Having said that, if I ever decide to go to the track and build a bike just for that........

tk

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
I don't see any real reason why it can't be done - you will need to come up with a way to mount the speed sensor ring to the GSXR wheel/rotor and the detector to the forks.
But that should not be horribly challenging.
No off the shelf parts admittedly but do-able.
Just need to maintain the same spacing between sender & ring as currently on the OEM set-up.

If you're more concerned about the forks than the brakes, then just get some adapters for the 17mm axle to the GSXR forks. Those should be pretty easy to accomodate - use the OEM wheel, brakes and speedo sensor.
You could even upgrade the brake calipers to 01-03 GSXR 4 pistons with some TWF adapters and STILL retain the ABS but with even improved braking!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, it's not a track bike, it's my commuter so ABS is important. I mostly want the forks for improved looks and cornering - I think the gold GSXR forks look pretty sweet on the SVs, especially a naked. I figured I'd start with the forks since they'd be the hardest part, a shock swap seems pretty easy, if expensive.

Sounds like retaining the stock wheel and rotors is the way to go. Thanks everyone.

edit: managed to find this old thread about this topic:

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=78108

·
Registered
54 Posts
^ still the same the choice is yours

I have upgraded internals for sale if your looking
Will PM you about the internals.

But I'm convinced there is a way to use GSX-R forks and brakes with either the stock ABS front wheel or to adapt the slotted ring to the GSX-R wheel.
No one has done this yet?

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Will PM you about the internals.

But I'm convinced there is a way to use GSX-R forks and brakes with either the stock ABS front wheel or to adapt the slotted ring to the GSX-R wheel.
No one has done this yet?
There's no reason why it won't work if you can make the physical adaption to integrate the pulsar rotor and the detector. I developed a system for a Triumph Sprint ABS with Hayabusa forks/calipers designing an adapter bracket for the detector onto the 'Busa fork leg. That used the original Sprint wheel (with the pulsar rotor) however.
I think I looked into this a while back - it is possible a Bandit ABS wheel might be an option. Or even the Sprint wheel is possible! :p

Post up a picture of the SV ABS wheel/pulsar rotor/detector.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts