Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like advice from other riders who have installed new fork springs.
I weigh 185 with out gear.
Rich at sonic recomended .90's
Race tech recomends .80's
Sonic website i came out with .85.
I ride on the streat preaty agressivly and have a 2001 sv650. Also might do a track day or 2 next year. I will have preload adjusters and RT emulators. Thanks for anyones imput. I will be ordering the sonic springs tomorow

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just so happen to have some Racetech's if you want them. I mounted GSXR forks, so no longer need them. I have never installed them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
athflying79, what the spring rate on yours? I've been looking to get some springs.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
When I did my forks Traxxion recommended .95, RaceTech .85. I do a lot of commuting as well as riding the twisties on the weekends, but I didn't want to kill my wrists. I just happened to have a friend who had .85 springs and so I road his bike. I ended up going with the .85s and I'm glad I did. Even though I'm 205lbs without gear, I think the .95s would have been WAY too stiff for riding on the street.

Don't sacrifice comfort for race performance if you aren't racing!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm gonna just jack this thread instead of making my own since it is the same subject. I am one big boy. I commute on the bike and do spirited sunday rides with freinds and probably will hit a couple tracks days a year. I weight in at 315 without gear. Do you think I should go with 1.0 or 1.1 springs? I guess those that ride two up will have the most valid input as they will be the ones putting that much load on their bike. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
canus said:
I'm gonna just jack this thread instead of making my own since it is the same subject. I am one big boy. I commute on the bike and do spirited sunday rides with freinds and probably will hit a couple tracks days a year. I weight in at 315 without gear. Do you think I should go with 1.0 or 1.1 springs? I guess those that ride two up will have the most valid input as they will be the ones putting that much load on their bike. Thanks for any input.
Get the 1.05's. (And no you're not going crazy, we did have 1.1's for the SV listed. 'twas a brain fart on my part, I entered the wrong number. :D Just fixed it.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
When you upgrade/stiffen the springs I'm assuming you also go up on the fork weight, right?

Basically I'm asking what else would you want to do when upgrading the springs?

·
Registered
186 Posts
i am 165Lbs without gear

installed .90 sonics and 20wt. it is stiff, we'll see in the long run. I may downgrade to .85.

I got .90 because i do lot of 2up riding and i brake late...very late.

Is too stiff bad for twisties?

Q

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
B18C5-EH2 said:
When you upgrade/stiffen the springs I'm assuming you also go up on the fork weight, right?

Basically I'm asking what else would you want to do when upgrading the springs?
You should use heavier fork oil, 20w works well for street use.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
QfactorSV said:
i am 165Lbs without gear

installed .90 sonics and 20wt. it is stiff, we'll see in the long run. I may downgrade to .85.

I got .90 because i do lot of 2up riding and i brake late...very late.

Is too stiff bad for twisties?

Q
The .90's should be ok. Kind of hard to feel the difference between the .90 and .85 actually. What did you set the fork oil height at?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Rich,

I'm getting ready to upgrade my front. I've seen it somewhere that 473 ml per leg is required. Is that right?

BTW-04SV650S

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Jason the Canuck said:
Rich,

I'm getting ready to upgrade my front. I've seen it somewhere that 473 ml per leg is required. Is that right?

BTW-04SV650S
Jason,

I never go by volume, I always measure the level. That's the only way to know for sure that it's right. I do know that it takes a bit less than a pint to do one leg, so I'm sure that the 473ml number is at least in the ballpark. Probably a bit much if I had to guess.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
GTKrockeTT said:
Rich, any idea when the fork springs will be back in stock?
I've just got enough 0.85's made to fill the backorders, but no extras. I do have .90's back in stock too. So right now only the .85's are out, everything else is shipping. Should have more .85's in a couple of days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts