Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the fork oil a short while ago on the 2002 and it's still soft. My mistake was using the "required" oil instead of a heavier oil. I considered putting a homemade spacer under the springs to increase tension thereby a stiffer ride......Any thoughts? Has anyone done this?  Or should I get a set of stiffer fork springs? I would think putting a spacer under the springs would increase tension enough. This is my wife's bike and she doesn't weigh a lot but when I ride it's VERY noticeable. 'Like a car with old front shocks. 'Just doesn't feel safe.

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
397 Posts
Put real oil in it.It is so much better than stock.Then let your wallet be your guide.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
PB125 said:
I replaced the fork oil a short while ago on the 2002 and it's still soft. My mistake was using the "required" oil instead of a heavier oil. I considered putting a homemade spacer under the springs to increase tension thereby a stiffer ride......Any thoughts? Has anyone done this?  Or should I get a set of stiffer fork springs? I would think putting a spacer under the springs would increase tension enough. This is my wife's bike and she doesn't weigh a lot but when I ride it's VERY noticeable. 'Like a car with old front shocks. 'Just doesn't feel safe.

Thanks,
Phil
Phil,
increasing preload doesn't make the springs any stiffer, it just raises your ride height. We have an explanation up on our website at:

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/preload_tech_article.php

There's also a calculator to determine the correct spring rate. Depending on what she weighs she may be just fine with the stock springs. If she rides it the majority of the time setting it up for her would be the best thing. If you like PM or e-mail me with your weights and how much both of you ride the bike and I can let you know what to do.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
When you decide to go to heavier oil, pick up a set of Sonic Springs while your at it. I think I got mine for around $100 or so.
Your wallet wont take a huge hit, and your bike will thank you for it!
You cant go wrong with gettin stuff from Rich at sonic springs.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
If you got the money do springs, oil and emulators. If its your wifes bike then of course its going to bottom out more than when you get on it. Even if you put sonic springs on that are set up for you wife they are still going to bottom out more with you on it. The only way around that is setting it up for you but that would in the end hurt the performance when your wife drives it. Get your OWN sv haha. Just messing man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts