Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go and make a mess of things I wanted to get input first.

I am about to install a set of racetech fork springs and they are 1" longer than the stock springs, does that mean I should just cut 1" off the stock spacers?

185lb rider if that matters.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Thanks, I know how to convert to inches. I was referring to how much the spacer will protrude thus influencing preload and sag figures. RaceTech is giving a range based upon the spring rate and the OP's wgt to achieve a nominal preload figure.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
I have but they only tell me the "TYPICAL RANGE FOR STREET FORKS - 15 to 30mm". I went to racetech's site though and it says 10mm for my bike and the springs I bought, hopefully you can understand my confusion sorry.
If you don't have preload adjustable caps 15mm of preload on the spring is standard. If you have preload adjuster on the cap 10mm preload on the spring with adjuster at minimum is standard.
That is basic set up, final amount depends on rate and use.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you don't have preload adjustable caps 15mm of preload on the spring is standard. If you have preload adjuster on the cap 10mm preload on the spring with adjuster at minimum is standard.
That is basic set up, final amount depends on rate and use.
This.

10-15mm of installed preload is pretty standard. That means you want the spring to be compressed 10-15mm with the fork fully extended and the cap is installed. You can install the spring in the fork, extend the fork fully, and measure the distance from the top of the spring to the top of the fork tube. Then calculate the length your spacer needs to be, but dont forget to subtract the length of the fork cap and washers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts