Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to replace the fork seals and springs? nothing is wrong with mine.. just real divey so i figure some racetech sprigns and some thicker fork oil should do the trick.. and since im doing all this maybe replace the seals? oh yea should i do nething else while im doing all this.... whats a good weight.. 15wt or 20 or is best for me to experiment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,407 Posts
qvverty187 said:
how hard is it to replace the fork seals and springs? nothing is wrong with mine.. just real divey so i figure some racetech sprigns and some thicker fork oil should do the trick.. and since im doing all this maybe replace the seals? oh yea should i do nething else while im doing all this.... whats a good weight.. 15wt or 20 or is best for me to experiment?
A generic write up on the procedure for changing springs and oil can be found here:

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/damper_rod_forks_tech_article.php

Hardest part for most people is supporting the bike so that all the weight is off the front end.

Figure out what rate you need here:

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/calculate_spring_rate.php

A street SV weighs about 430 with a full tank.
20w oil is about right for aftermarket springs. (for street use)

If the seals aren't leaking I'd leave them alone. Just take some extra fine steel wool and buff the tubes a bit. What makes seals leak are the tiny pits and dings that the sand and gravel kicked up by the cars ahead of of you make in the tubes. If you polish those out periodically the seals will last much longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
what are the torque #'s for the caps and the triple pinch bolts?

Also, what is ideal 20wt oil level for street riding?

thank you

Q
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,407 Posts
QfactorSV said:
what are the torque #'s for the caps and the triple pinch bolts?

Also, what is ideal 20wt oil level for street riding?

thank you

Q
I know the triple clamp bolts are 16.5, I think the fork caps are the same. On the lower triple bolts, since there's 2 you need to go back and forth on them, since tightening one takes some torque off the other.

If your not using emulators try about 110-115mm, if you are 120-125mm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,503 Posts
20 may be too heavy

For street riding 20W is good if you're around 180# or over. Below that 15W is a better choice.

Stick with the stock height, about 4" air gap in the forks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,407 Posts
Re: 20 may be too heavy

andyauger said:
...Stick with the stock height, about 4" air gap in the forks.
You'd use 100mm even with springs that were the right rate?? I'd agree with that for the stock springs, but it's a little high for the others.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top