Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum which looks great by the way.

I am about to change the fork seals on my 06 650 and looked up the excellent advice and procedures on here for doing the job.

I am wondering if you have to separate the forks?
I ask as I have done quite a few conventional forks before without having to remove the damping rod and separating the forks. I have done this by taking a small awl and gently working a hole in the old seals face, then very carefully working a drywall screw into the hole, (The hole has to be in the center of the old seals face and not touch either the fork tube or leg). Then once the screw is securely in through the seal but not into anything else, i used a pair of water pump pliers to yank the old seal out.

I then simply cleaned up the tubes, lightly oiled the new seal and drove them into place using a driving tool, (however the right size pvc tube will work fine also).

Anyone else tried this, saves a tone of time. Of course when the forks are out I always have the fork cap off and spring out so I can drain the forks and re-fill effectively.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I don't know. Undoing one bolt seems pretty easy to me. Much easier than drilling a couple holes, inserting screws and hoping you don't touch a fork tube.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I suppose that would be one method, though I never tried it, nor would I want to risk marring the sliders. Plus, separating them gives you a chance to inspect the bushes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I totally get what your saying there guys and do agree, however if you know all that is wrong in there from previous visits is the seals, its a great way to save time. Plus that damper bolt can be a pain to get out if spinning and no improvised tool is handy..

Its definitely doable and is an option for anyone who doesn't want to deal with the fork separation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
by the way drilling the holes is a no no as you may get swarf etc..in the tubes, just work a hole carefully in the seal with an awl then work the screw into that hole....I have done it several times on other bikes without touching anything but the old seal.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Knew a shop mechanic who did it that way for a while. A lot of the time it works fine. Others the seals are stuck in there firmly enough that it doesn't work and you have to do it the normal way, which means you wasted the time on the "shortcut". And finally he slipped and garfed up a fork tube, which meant a pissed off customer (who had to wait for a new fork tube to be ordered) and money out of the mechs pocket.
He doesn't do it that way anymore. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts