Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice from someone who changed his or her own fork seals.
Are all these parts line up one on the top of each other on the inner fork touching or not?
From top.
1.Dust seal
2.Oil seal stopper ring
3.Oil seal
4.Oil seal retainer
5.Inner tube slide bushing
6.outer tube slide bushing
Once I pull the forks apart then naturally bushing will push all the other parts out (after taking the dust and ring out) then when installing back how would I know where the parts exactly go position wise on the fork. Do they pretty much reside in the crevice on the top of the fork? Or the lower bushing must be pushed further down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
1.Dust seal
2.Oil seal stopper ring
3.Oil seal
4.Oil seal retainer <- I think this is a washer, and is there to protect the bottom of the oil seal from the outer tube bushing.
5.outer tube slide bushing <- this is the one just below the oil seal
6.Inner tube slide bushing <- this is the one that is kinda "captured" on the bottom of the inner fork tube.

When you slide the forks apart, the inner bushing is in a groove near the bottom of the inner fork tube. The outer slide bushing is larger than the inner tube bushing. You'll see this when you pull the fork apart.

The one thing that got me when I puth the forks back together is that I had the seal in upside down. (I am dyslexic, give me a break) The result is that the seal "wiped" oil out of the forks instead of keeping the oil in the forks. To see what I mean, slide the fork seal up and down the forks and see which orientation actually wipes. Make sure that it is dry where the dust seal would be.

Hope this wasn't too hard to follow. Good luck.[/quote]

·
Registered
75 Posts
1,2,3,4,5 touch
6 is at the bottom of the inner fork tube

1.Dust seal
2.Oil seal stopper ring
3.Oil seal
4.Oil seal retainer <- I think this is a washer, and is there to protect the bottom of the oil seal from the outer tube bushing.
5.outer tube slide bushing <- this is the one just below the oil seal
6.Inner tube slide bushing <- this is the one that is kinda "captured" on the bottom of the inner fork tube.

When you slide the forks apart, the inner bushing is in a groove near the bottom of the inner fork tube. The outer slide bushing is larger than the inner tube bushing. You'll see this when you pull the fork apart.

The one thing that got me when I puth the forks back together is that I had the seal in upside down. (I am dyslexic, give me a break) The result is that the seal "wiped" oil out of the forks instead of keeping the oil in the forks. To see what I mean, slide the fork seal up and down the forks and see which orientation actually wipes. Make sure that it is dry where the dust seal would be.

Hope this wasn't too hard to follow. Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much.It is this kind of feedback that I keep coming here.Kudos to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts