Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FORK OIL I know google :)

OK I know “use google” and I have but there's one problem. I am a grizzly bear and with gear on I am 320lb. of furry dead. hay Its cold up here. I ride vary aggressively and on vary fast twisty roads. I see 15w oil seem the favourite but most people are around 230lb. I do plan on doing the front and rear spring next year as I dont have the money. What do you guys thing I should put in for my fork oil for this year?

2011 sv650saf

·
Registered
199 Posts
def need to upgrade your springs if you haven't already, racetech has a chart on their website. i put in 30w "redline" suspension oil seen here http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=29&pcid=18 they say its comparable to others 15-20w i dont know how much was the thinker oil, and how much was the springs but it was a GREAT improvement, you need 1 bottle per fork but i ordered 3 total just to be on the safe side, if you go with them i recommend the same...

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
FORK OIL I know google :)

OK I know “use google” and I have but there's one problem. I am a grizzly bear and with gear on I am 320lb. of furry dead. hay Its cold up here. I ride vary aggressively and on vary fast twisty roads. I see 15w oil seem the favourite but most people are around 230lb. I do plan on doing the front and rear spring next year as I dont have the money. What do you guys thing I should put in for my fork oil for this year?

2011 sv650saf
Stick with the 15w for now, with the stock springs. When you get better springs you may want to try 20w.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The springs are the important part for holding things up.
The oil regulates how fast the length can change in response to road conditions.
That will be the same for all values of spring rate (relatively).

Go with the recommended oil wt values for the time being.
Probably won't be pushing things too hard once the temps drop below freezing.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Just curious.....what kind of sag does a 320lb rider get on that bike? You might have the springs compressed so far that it doesn't matter so much what oil is in there.:)

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
Just curious.....what kind of sag does a 320lb rider get on that bike? You might have the springs compressed so far that it doesn't matter so much what oil is in there.:)
+1 Contact Sonic Springs for the correct rate. It's RichDesmond in charge there.
Read the tech article there on setting up sag, and compare it to what you have now.
If you have the pre-load at the max, you need stronger springs!

·
Registered
199 Posts
also if you have an extra $100 upgrade the rear fork, im 220 lbs and the stock just wasnt enough for me (like many) i got an 04ish zx-10 for about $80 and did the instal myself, and im no grease monkey...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have all the preloads max out and it is with in the spec for street riding. I cant remember the mm but it was about dead on. The load capacity for the bike is like 430lbs so it OK. As for the rear shock I have a 2003 gsxr 750 shock but I have the abs model so it wont fit. I will have to get a aftermarket shock. I plan on getting the Traxxion Dynamics SV 650 "Drop-In" Damper and Fork Spring Kit along with a Penske Sport Shock next year. I will be at the moto gp race in cali in 2 week on the bike so 15wt oil will have to do for now.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
I have all the preloads max out and it is with in the spec for street riding. I cant remember the mm but it was about dead on. The load capacity for the bike is like 430lbs so it OK. As for the rear shock I have a 2003 gsxr 750 shock but I have the abs model so it wont fit. I will have to get a aftermarket shock.
ABS? On my 08 ABS I have Ricor dampers front and rear, set for my weight and style. Love those Intiminators! Everything comes with a "no questions asked" return period, iirc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts