Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Don't want to sound stupid, but..................
I want to remove the fork caps on my new 05 and change the fork oil (suck it out). How much pressure is the fork spring under when you screw the cap off? Can you do this safely and if so how???? THANKS!

N

·
0 Posts
First step is to lift the front end off the floor. I use a bottle jack under the engine plus my rear stand, but be careful as it can be tippy. Once you do that, there isn't very much force behind the cap, maybe five lbs or so. I would put something thick and padded over the tank (like a folded blanket or towel) in case they get away from you. I use a socket and push down slightly as I turn it. You could use an open end wrench but it's really easy to crossthread the caps when you reinstall them and the socket helps prevent that.

:)

N

·
0 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
Don't forget to turn turn down the preload on the fork caps!  Those suckers will fly off pretty quick if you do...
Good point! Not having those on my '01 (yet!) the thought didn't occur to me.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you mean, "turn down" the preload adjusters? I know what they are, but I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

N

·
0 Posts
Turn them to their lightest setting so you don't have any more pressure on the spring than you have to when you remove the caps.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
Got it!  THANKS!
I, unfortunately, forgot to remove any preload. Those caps sure did fly off hard! Luckily, I was pressing down while turning the ratchet, so they didn't go far and I caught them before they hit the ground. You'd think that I would have figured it out with the first cap - must have been the beer....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts