Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm about to pull my hair out trying to figure out what I did wrong. Hopefully someone here will have some insight.

I pulled the left fork off my 2005 SV650 today to replace a fork seal. Took the fork apart, laid out all the parts one, by one. I reassemble, just as I took apart, so I thought. Anyway, when I put the Racetec spring back in and spacer, I noticed it was an 1" down inside the tube instead of flush with the top like it was when I disassembled it. Figuring I most likely screwed something up, I took the fork apart again, examined everything and put it back together.with the same result. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I took the cap off the right fork and sure enough, the spacer was to the top of the fork.

Anyone have any idea what the hell happened? What could I have done wrong which would cause the spring to sit a whole inch lower in the tube now?

·
Registered
975 Posts
The spacer sitting even or slightly below the end of the tube sounds about right. Did you pull the spacer from the right fork to see if it was the same length? You may have to remove the right side and disassemble it to compare the two.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, The spacers are the same length. However the right one is flush with the top of the fork tube (with top cap off) while the left one now sits an 1" deep in the left tube. I've taken the left tube apart three times now to check and double check everything. Strange to say the least.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yep, that rebound spring could cause a difference in the extended length of the assembly.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Or didn't put it in at all, that'd be my bet.

BTW, the spacers coming all the way flush with the tube is probably wrong. With the adjustable caps if the spring rate is correct they should be recessed 3/4"-1" in the tube. If they're flush you won't have enough sag.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I can tell, I put ALL the parts back correctly including the "Re-Bound" spring.

RichDesmond says I should have 3/4 to 1" from the top of the fork tube down to the spacer. That is exactly how it is. The shock just felt real mushy in comparison to the other. So I took off the cap to the other and the spacer on that side comes to the top of the tube. Pulled the two spacers out and they are the same length. Pulled the two springs out, they are the same. Didn't want to do it but I guess I'm going to have to pull the other shock apart and see why one spring is seated in the tube deeper then the other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts