Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I posted a few weeks ago about a bent handlebar after my bike was knocked down while parked. I had replaced the handlebar etc, but then figured out the front wheel (steering/forks) weren't aligned properly so I tried to fix that as well by loosening the upper and lower triple clamp nuts and wiggling the tyre, which worked to some extend.

However I noticed yesterday that the top of the forks that poke out above the triple clamp aren't even. In the manual there's a measurement for how high they should be over the triple clamp (2 mm if i remember correctly) which must mean they should be at the same level. To my misfortune one of them is poking out about twice as much as the other one, which might explain why I can't get rid of the last few degrees of misalignment of the front tyre using the method described above. So.. What to do about this?

Second question. I am having to squeeze the clutch lever real tight and keep it there or the ignition switch won't fire. Where to look ? Is there an adjustment for this?

Lastly.. During the handlebar replacement I must have done something with the choke. I can open it, but it won't stay open. I am having to keep it open with my hand or it'll go back. It's a bit of a problem having to pull the clutch and the choke in and hit the starter button with only two hands. Is there a little piece in the choke mechanism that maybe I lost ? Any ideas ?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Oktay

G

·
oktay said:
Hello.

I posted a few weeks ago about a bent handlebar after my bike was knocked down while parked. I had replaced the handlebar etc, but then figured out the front wheel (steering/forks) weren't aligned properly so I tried to fix that as well by loosening the upper and lower triple clamp nuts and wiggling the tyre, which worked to some extend.

However I noticed yesterday that the top of the forks that poke out above the triple clamp aren't even. In the manual there's a measurement for how high they should be over the triple clamp (2 mm if i remember correctly) which must mean they should be at the same level. To my misfortune one of them is poking out about twice as much as the other one, which might explain why I can't get rid of the last few degrees of misalignment of the front tyre using the method described above. So.. What to do about this?

Second question. I am having to squeeze the clutch lever real tight and keep it there or the ignition switch won't fire. Where to look ? Is there an adjustment for this?

Lastly.. During the handlebar replacement I must have done something with the choke. I can open it, but it won't stay open. I am having to keep it open with my hand or it'll go back. It's a bit of a problem having to pull the clutch and the choke in and hit the starter button with only two hands. Is there a little piece in the choke mechanism that maybe I lost ? Any ideas ?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Oktay
with the height of the legs you just have to loose the bolts of the lower and upper clamp, you should be able to slide them, adjust them to the right height, if that doesn`t work for you i would take out the wheel also

with the clutch i don`t think there is an adjustment and normally you should pull all the way otherwise your bike could still jump forward when you start

i would just take the housing apart again and check if all the cable are in place or you get a third hand ;-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
acer1966 said:
with the height of the legs you just have to loose the bolts of the lower and upper clamp, you should be able to slide them, adjust them to the right height, if that doesn`t work for you i would take out the wheel also
When I loosen both the bolts on both lower and upper (upper is on the side of the bike and the lower are the ones facing the front.. a pair of bolts on each side ?), it's still not quite loose enough for the forks to slide. Is there another bolt?

Thanks a lot for your reponse by the way. Appreciate it.

Oktay

G

·
you should have 3 bolts per side 2 for the lower one for the upper, i did it one leg at a time
you could have some corrosion going there because i don`t think your forks could be bend
that bad from a tipover that they don`t move anymore
when you sit on the bike push on the handle bars with locked front brakes and see if the loose side moves
but don`t jump on it
what kind of bike to you have a s or a naked ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. It's a naked. I will try this in a little bit. When I tried it before the bike has always been on the centerstand, hence no pressue on the tyre. Maybe that's the reason the forks did not move.

oktay

G

·
hope everything works for you, i had no problems moving the legs with the bike on the side stand

where are you located ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
if this helps--I got two car axle stands and a 3 fot long piece of 6x1 wood .
With the bike on its rear race stand I jacked up the front of the bike with a trolly jack the fed the 6x1 under the front header pipe and sat it under the starter motor--then I suppoerted it wit the axle stands.
Keeps the whole lot solid whils you figure out whats wri=ong with the front end

1 - 9 of 9 Posts