Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
;D

Sent from my smartshoe using my pinky toe.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Ofir, my first thought after reading your original post was that it took you this long to swallow your pride and admit the small mistake. The video really does illustrate some of the advantages of installing frame sliders.
Thanks for sharing and I bet you and the sv have a more intimate bond than before you decided to take a little break on the pavement.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I use my framesliders as resting spots for my legs on long highway runs. So they save my knees.

Though the boots and leather pants would have protected your leg and foot well enough. Though they'd have a lot more damage themselves.

·
Premium Member
4,347 Posts
Wow, the frame slider clearly protected your foot! I haven't installed frame sliders thinking if/when I do crash, the bike will be the least of my worries, I can always fix the bike. Thanks very much for posting this, I think I need to reconsider.
My riding booty boots are suppose to protect against that.

Still have frame sliders as the firstest mod. They also make the bike easier to pick up after a drop.(No reason for knowing that. Move on...)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, you've convinced me to buy framesliders finally.. how about the spool/swingarm are they really worth it? I don't really see how they make a difference they are so small

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Well, you've convinced me to buy framesliders finally.. how about the spool/swingarm are they really worth it? I don't really see how they make a difference they are so small
If they are long enough (more than an inch), they can minimize muffler damage. Otherwise, they're good for jackstand points.

BTW, my left frameslider was still structural sound after doing $1000 worth of damage to the mercedes that sideswiped me recently:naughty:

·
site supporter
6,092 Posts
I just read this thread for the first time. Glad you're OK. Thank you for posting this cautionary tale and taking the time to point out the injury-preventing potential of framesliders.
I consider your stupidity to be a National Treasure.
:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm really surprised your tank didn't hit the ground...

It also makes me very curious as to what actually happened to me. I wrecked back in 2014 and absolutely destroyed my ankle, **** still ain't right. The doctor said it was a crush/roll injury like the bike pinned it against the road and just pummeled it. I was and still am running Motosliders however, so I dunno...

·
Registered
30 Posts
1. Glad you're ok

2. Conversely I'd invest in just very bomb proof boots (SIDI), as frame sliders have a tendency to catch on objects and then flip the bike, increasing chances it will land on you

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
That has not been my experience. I was in an accident where the frame slider hit a rock, instead of flipping the bike it just bent the snot out of the slider mounting bolt.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I like the part about frame sliders where you're just about guaranteed to not immediately trash your radiator, frame and tank. If you're on the street, frame sliders are no brainer. On track where a low side usually puts you in the grass, it's debatable, but a mushroom design would be excellent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
True. I'm speaking more from a track point of view - I've seen many cases where the bike catches on the rumble strips because of the frame sliders and what could have been a cheap low side because an expensive tumble to fix.

·
Greetings Program
6,272 Posts
True. I'm speaking more from a track point of view.
And Ofir's post was all about riding on the street...

:eek:ccasion14:

On track, there's a higher expectation of going down, as you are always riding at the limits (or at least trying to reach them.)

On the street, not so much (hopefully.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a low speed wipeout this season. First ride of the season, rear tire lost traction making a left turn, and I highsided at an intersection a block from my place. Insurance almost wrote of my bike just because of cosmetic damage to fairing, slip-on exhaust, etc. I put motosliders on after that. Would have saved me a huge headache if I had them in the first place.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts