Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts
I have a Autocom system with the standards noise cancelling headset, sound quality is excellent, as good at 100mph as it is at 30mph

Discussion starter · #24 ·
ety er6i's, hands down the best IEM (in ear monitor) in your price range. They have the same noise isolation as most earplugs.
Lol. Aren't these 149$/pair?
I've heard great things about Etymotics though, and they definitely warrant the price tag but again, I'm on a budget.

Thanks to all who have replied, I am definitely going to give those JVC's a shot seeing as how they have garnered the best reviews from fellow riders.

And, +1 to the MDREX55's. I have a version from almost 2 years ago, so theyre slightly different in design currently, but I am throroughly convinced by sound quality and overall durability to have lasted this long the way I use them. So, worst case scenario, I just re-buy the pair - but I just wanted to see if there was better out there (as there usually is).

Also, to the new rider; ear plugs are always recommended when riding to cut down on the wind noise that WILL permanently damage your ear drums. But you also have to be careful about it. SDRider is right about waiting a few thousand miles to make sure your situational awareness has definitely grown and you are more aware of your surroundings. I'll tell you right now, riding with earplugs/buds w/ music does put you at a certain handicap as you lose the sense of hearing in your awareness.

You'll begin to rely heavily on pure instinct and visual ability b/c you have lost a great deal of hearing while riding. Always remember, safety first. Yes, you look cool on a motorcycle, but being cool isn't a factor when you're dead.

I had JVC marshmellows. the right one died for some reason, I don't know why. I was annoyed since I liked them so much. I decided to try skullcandy in-ear headphones nest. Big mistake. My JVC were much more comfortable and the foam blocked a lot more wind noise than the plastic plugs for the skullcandy.
I thought the same thing with mine, when one side was quiet. I took off the foam tip, looked in where the small hole is, and it had ear wax covering it. (eww, and i keep my ears very clean) I just used a toothpick to clean it out, now it works again. :)

+1000 on the JVC marshmallows...I have ben singing the praises of these for some time on this board. WAY best bang for the buck and block out wind noise like a good set of Hearos.
To the guy who complained about the cord length, get an extension!
To the guy who said one side quit working, +1 on taking them apart to check the tube for ear wax.

I got a set of the Marshmellows on the recommendation of someone on here, and they are completely ghey! :p

The foam part is barely 2mm thick. There's no room for it to compress and expand out. They could have made the mic tube thinner and added more foam. In my experience, they're no different than any set of in-ear buds. But at least it was a cheap $18 mistake. Anyone looking for foam type buds, Koss has a eet too. Check those out when looking at the JVC.

But above all, pay close attention to your ears. If they're ringing after you get off, or if your hearing becomes more sensitive, you're likely doing permanent damage.

The Etymotic flanged tips (the part that goes in your ear canal) are very comfortable, stay put reasonably well, and do a good job of noise isolation. You can buy just the tips from Etymotic. They cost only a few dollars each but come in multi-packs. I know that some people have used them on earphones from other manufacturers. Obviously, you would have to determine if they would fit on whichever phones you have, but it might be worth the effort.

My stepson was given a ticket by a somewhat overzealous FHP officer for wearing earphones while operating a bicycle. He requested a court hearing and the judge dismissed the case when he heard that the kid was riding a bicycle. However, it IS illegal in Florida to have them in both ears while operating a MV and bicycles are technically subject to the same traffic laws as MVs. Different states have different laws about this, so check your locale if you plan to ride or drive with them.

I have been stopped a couple of times while wearing them but have managed to get them out before the LEO noticed them.

This is the set I like. They fit well under the helmet and don’t want to pop out, even if I give the cable a slight tug. The ear loops help a lot with that. The loops are removable and come in 3 different sizes, as do the little rubber parts that go inside the ear. They have a poor rating on the Sony site, but I like em,…

This brings up a question I’ve been meaning to ask one of the local law enforcement officers: I thought I was illegal to drive with headphones,…. The same applies to bikes as well does it not?
I know its something not likely to be noticed, like driving barefoot, or using your left foot to brake, but if I get pulled over on a bike and I have headphones in when I take my helmet off and I looking at a ticket for that?

So I don’t catch hell for what I said before: No I don’t brake with my left foot, in fact I drive a manual, but the clutch is why I do drive barefoot. I find that it’s harder to operate the petals with sandals on. The sacrifices I have to make living in San Diego are hell.
It does apply to bikes. I've been pulled over once with them in but only got a warning. The guy was pretty cool (motorcycle cop) and he said I could listen to music with one ear bud in but not both.

Depends on the cop though. He could give you a ticket for it.

It does apply to bikes. I've been pulled over once with them in but only got a warning. The guy was pretty cool (motorcycle cop) and he said I could listen to music with one ear bud in but not both.

Depends on the cop though. He could give you a ticket for it.
Yup. Depends on the state.

However in almost all states you can get around it if it is a communication device. SO if you have a cell phone with memory for music you can plug into that as it is technically a communication device. Then just get a nice stereo headset with a mic.... Legal in most states at that point.

OR you can mount the speakers inside your helmet. Most state laws are specific about headphones however if the speakers off of the headphones are mounted inside your helmet they can be classified as mounted speakers like in a car.

Yup. Depends on the state.

However in almost all states you can get around it if it is a communication device. SO if you have a cell phone with memory for music you can plug into that as it is technically a communication device. Then just get a nice stereo headset with a mic.... Legal in most states at that point.
Not so in Florida even for communication device, only legal if in one ear, not both.

I picked up a pair of maxell from Fry's (electronics store down here) for <$15 after tax ;D
I love em b/c they sounds good and the only hard part is the actual bud so you don't have hard plastic pressed against your ear w/the lid on...and I only use one b/c they are earbuds and can double as earplugs LoL

Why I said most. Florida has some messed up rules.
Where did you get the information that it is legal in "almost all states" to wear headphones/earphones that cover both ears if using a "communications device" as you implied? I'd like to see the evidence, and what is your definition of "almost all?"

Not talking about helmet speakers here, just headphones/earphones.

etymotic er-6i's, hands down.

Look on Amazon, they're slightly above your $50 max, but it's worth it. (I think I picked mine up for ~75 on Amazon)

There is absolutely 0 interference with putting my helmet on, I can listen to music for the boring parts of the rides, turn it off for the technical sections making them act like ear plugs.

Just so I'm clear - ear buds sit in the outer part of the ear like the white buds that come with iPods. Ear canal headphones go in the ear. These are the one that offer a lot more noise isolation and you can keep the music at a lower volume. Buds are worthless for hearing protection.

I use Westones but they are pretty expensive. While you are riding you won't need audiophile quality but you might find that you want to listen off the bike as well.

One other thing - everyone's ears are shaped differently so what is comfortable to one will be unbearable to another. The type of insert will also determine the sound quality and the amount of hearing protection.

Try this site for some around $50. They have been around for a long time.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headphone-type/in-ear-monitor-type/
Ride safe....

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.