Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

For those that ride with music

4K views 60 replies 39 participants last post by  UtahSV 
I just picked up a set of Pioneer ear buds from Fry's Electronics for $39. They sound decent and don't seem to move around much so long as the wires aren't binding up on my jacket and they are slick enough that the padding of the helmet doesn't pull them out of my ears when I put my helmet on.

It's not as though you need high quality audio when you're on a motorcycle. They really just need to be loud enough to compete with the wind noise and the sound of your exhaust.

The ones I have do have good range and decent bass.

Clarification-these are not ear buds like the ipod crap, they are in ear headphones.

question: is there a certain amount of time that is recommended to have ridden for before you start listening to music while riding on the HWY, or side streets, or whatever like that? i only ask this b/c i am thinking about doing it but also thinking about thhe fact i have only been riding for about a month so i dont think it will be the wisest to do so. im also taking some of that from the skydiving community that has a recommended jump number before you do some of the more advanced stuff like flying with a camera, or a wingsuit, or any other device. thanks for your input guys.
I would just recommend you don't do anything that would overly distract you while riding. Personally, I don't find it overly distracting. It helps if you have your music device situated so that you can adjust the music volume or turn it off if needed and don't have it up so loud that you cannot hear what's happening around you.

For a beginner I wouldn't recommend riding with music for at least the first few thousand miles. Your mind will be busy enough.

This is the set I like. They fit well under the helmet and don’t want to pop out, even if I give the cable a slight tug. The ear loops help a lot with that. The loops are removable and come in 3 different sizes, as do the little rubber parts that go inside the ear. They have a poor rating on the Sony site, but I like em,…

This brings up a question I’ve been meaning to ask one of the local law enforcement officers: I thought I was illegal to drive with headphones,…. The same applies to bikes as well does it not?
I know its something not likely to be noticed, like driving barefoot, or using your left foot to brake, but if I get pulled over on a bike and I have headphones in when I take my helmet off and I looking at a ticket for that?

So I don’t catch hell for what I said before: No I don’t brake with my left foot, in fact I drive a manual, but the clutch is why I do drive barefoot. I find that it’s harder to operate the petals with sandals on. The sacrifices I have to make living in San Diego are hell.
It does apply to bikes. I've been pulled over once with them in but only got a warning. The guy was pretty cool (motorcycle cop) and he said I could listen to music with one ear bud in but not both.

Depends on the cop though. He could give you a ticket for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.