Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

For those that ride with music

4K views 60 replies 39 participants last post by  UtahSV 
#1 ·
Safety concerns aside....
which headphones do you use/have used, and have found to be the most effective? Currently, I use an amazing, but equally worn-out pair of Sony MDREX55 Earbuds which I love to death, but I find are unstable once I get the ol' lid on.

So, I'm looking for a new pair with good clarity as far as midrange/low end frequencies, as well as stability under the helmet - also, not going to break my bank. $50 is my maximum.

Currently, I'm looking at the Sennheisser sport series (MX7x) and are finding a lot of mixed reviews, therefore I'm uncertain as to which to invest into.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for a relatively decent quality set as I use these same pair of headphones for pretty much everything. Theyre constantly with me, which is why theyre slightly tattered at the moment. I never go anywhere without them and my iPod in my pocket. Even as I sit right now typing this, theyre connected to my computer haha.

Volume is not so much the issue as the ipod itself is capable of relatively high volumes. I definitely want something with good mid/low ends so when I'm not riding, I wont be kicking myself in the butt for not investing enough into something quality (that goes for durability as well)

Has anybody tried the Earclip ones (wrap around the ear with a bud that goes into the ear itself) or more "sport" oriented ones. Those seem like they would have the most durability, but I could just be falling into your typical consumerist scam lol.

And alas, in a perfect world, they'd be wireless lol :p:p

Discussion starter · #24 ·
ety er6i's, hands down the best IEM (in ear monitor) in your price range. They have the same noise isolation as most earplugs.
Lol. Aren't these 149$/pair?
I've heard great things about Etymotics though, and they definitely warrant the price tag but again, I'm on a budget.

Thanks to all who have replied, I am definitely going to give those JVC's a shot seeing as how they have garnered the best reviews from fellow riders.

And, +1 to the MDREX55's. I have a version from almost 2 years ago, so theyre slightly different in design currently, but I am throroughly convinced by sound quality and overall durability to have lasted this long the way I use them. So, worst case scenario, I just re-buy the pair - but I just wanted to see if there was better out there (as there usually is).

Also, to the new rider; ear plugs are always recommended when riding to cut down on the wind noise that WILL permanently damage your ear drums. But you also have to be careful about it. SDRider is right about waiting a few thousand miles to make sure your situational awareness has definitely grown and you are more aware of your surroundings. I'll tell you right now, riding with earplugs/buds w/ music does put you at a certain handicap as you lose the sense of hearing in your awareness.

You'll begin to rely heavily on pure instinct and visual ability b/c you have lost a great deal of hearing while riding. Always remember, safety first. Yes, you look cool on a motorcycle, but being cool isn't a factor when you're dead.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
Well, I just got my new Shoei RF1000 today, and first off - it is so much better than my KBC VR2 in every regard it's not even funny. (Great eBay deal, 225 and free shipping) but anywho. I was riding cause a) wanted to give the new helmet a spin and b) the weather is absolutely perfect in SoCal right now, and with my still-current MDREX55s, one turn to the left to check my blind spot and my headphone came out of my ear lol. So I'm definitely looking at putting in the slightly extra dough for either the Shure E2C's or the Ety ER6i's on Amazon due to your guy's suggestions (leaning more towards the Shure's at this point).

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.