Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

For those that ride with music

4K views 60 replies 39 participants last post by  UtahSV 
#1 ·
Safety concerns aside....
which headphones do you use/have used, and have found to be the most effective? Currently, I use an amazing, but equally worn-out pair of Sony MDREX55 Earbuds which I love to death, but I find are unstable once I get the ol' lid on.

So, I'm looking for a new pair with good clarity as far as midrange/low end frequencies, as well as stability under the helmet - also, not going to break my bank. $50 is my maximum.

Currently, I'm looking at the Sennheisser sport series (MX7x) and are finding a lot of mixed reviews, therefore I'm uncertain as to which to invest into.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I just picked up a set of Pioneer ear buds from Fry's Electronics for $39. They sound decent and don't seem to move around much so long as the wires aren't binding up on my jacket and they are slick enough that the padding of the helmet doesn't pull them out of my ears when I put my helmet on.

It's not as though you need high quality audio when you're on a motorcycle. They really just need to be loud enough to compete with the wind noise and the sound of your exhaust.

The ones I have do have good range and decent bass.

Clarification-these are not ear buds like the ipod crap, they are in ear headphones.

#3 ·
I'm looking for a relatively decent quality set as I use these same pair of headphones for pretty much everything. Theyre constantly with me, which is why theyre slightly tattered at the moment. I never go anywhere without them and my iPod in my pocket. Even as I sit right now typing this, theyre connected to my computer haha.

Volume is not so much the issue as the ipod itself is capable of relatively high volumes. I definitely want something with good mid/low ends so when I'm not riding, I wont be kicking myself in the butt for not investing enough into something quality (that goes for durability as well)

Has anybody tried the Earclip ones (wrap around the ear with a bud that goes into the ear itself) or more "sport" oriented ones. Those seem like they would have the most durability, but I could just be falling into your typical consumerist scam lol.

And alas, in a perfect world, they'd be wireless lol :p:p

#4 ·
I had these till they started to wear out, bought them again in Black. The first pair lasted for about a year, but they were only about $30 when i first bought them so...
I use them all the time, on the bike, ona plane, drown people out at work...
no complaints.
plus they have a volume adjuster in line, so i don't have to fiddle with the player.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8359019&type=product&id=1177112903276

#5 ·
question: is there a certain amount of time that is recommended to have ridden for before you start listening to music while riding on the HWY, or side streets, or whatever like that? i only ask this b/c i am thinking about doing it but also thinking about thhe fact i have only been riding for about a month so i dont think it will be the wisest to do so. im also taking some of that from the skydiving community that has a recommended jump number before you do some of the more advanced stuff like flying with a camera, or a wingsuit, or any other device. thanks for your input guys.

#12 ·
I would just recommend you don't do anything that would overly distract you while riding. Personally, I don't find it overly distracting. It helps if you have your music device situated so that you can adjust the music volume or turn it off if needed and don't have it up so loud that you cannot hear what's happening around you.

For a beginner I wouldn't recommend riding with music for at least the first few thousand miles. Your mind will be busy enough.

#7 ·
+1 for the JVC marshmallows. I have them in right now (i use them all the time i'm on the computer). When I put them in, and don't have music on, it's like wearing the earplugs I use when trap shooting. If it makes a shotgun quiet, should make the bike quiet. I can listen to music at maybe 3 or 4 clicks louder than when I listen to music sittin here surfin the boards (which is the same as when I'm walking around outside).

I think I may get another pair, or 2. I'm wearing them out rather quickly, the foam tips are starting to get torn up.

#9 ·
I think I am going to be getting a BluTech helmet next month or so to cover my music needs. I wil just stream via the blue tooth to the helmets built in speakers. Plus I can take a call should I really need to.

If the wife gets a matching lid or a blue tooth chatbox then we can chat while she rides her bike....

#10 ·
Another factor to consider is the angle at which the wire comes out of the earbud. I found that too much of an angle and my helmet would put pressure on it (and my ears) making them uncomfortable.

I searched around for a good pair with wires that come out straight down. What did I end up with?

Sony MDR-EX55LP

#11 ·
I had JVC marshmellows. the right one died for some reason, I don't know why. I was annoyed since I liked them so much. I decided to try skullcandy in-ear headphones nest. Big mistake. My JVC were much more comfortable and the foam blocked a lot more wind noise than the plastic plugs for the skullcandy.

#25 ·
I thought the same thing with mine, when one side was quiet. I took off the foam tip, looked in where the small hole is, and it had ear wax covering it. (eww, and i keep my ears very clean) I just used a toothpick to clean it out, now it works again. :)

#16 ·
This is the set I like. They fit well under the helmet and don’t want to pop out, even if I give the cable a slight tug. The ear loops help a lot with that. The loops are removable and come in 3 different sizes, as do the little rubber parts that go inside the ear. They have a poor rating on the Sony site, but I like em,…

This brings up a question I’ve been meaning to ask one of the local law enforcement officers: I thought I was illegal to drive with headphones,…. The same applies to bikes as well does it not?
I know its something not likely to be noticed, like driving barefoot, or using your left foot to brake, but if I get pulled over on a bike and I have headphones in when I take my helmet off and I looking at a ticket for that?

So I don’t catch hell for what I said before: No I don’t brake with my left foot, in fact I drive a manual, but the clutch is why I do drive barefoot. I find that it’s harder to operate the petals with sandals on. The sacrifices I have to make living in San Diego are hell.

#19 ·
This brings up a question I’ve been meaning to ask one of the local law enforcement officers: I thought I was illegal to drive with headphones,…. The same applies to bikes as well does it not?
I know its something not likely to be noticed, like driving barefoot, or using your left foot to brake, but if I get pulled over on a bike and I have headphones in when I take my helmet off and I looking at a ticket for that?
Where are you? In CA Music in one ear, earplugs in both are legal.

If I ever get pulled over I'll make sure the music is off. At the volume I Listen you can't hear the music till it's just about in your ear anyway.

#17 ·
I use the Sony MDREX36V/BLK. Inexpensive, good sound, non helmet intrusive and do as good a job of noise canceling than my Bose QC3. The latter never leave my bag anymore when I board a plane, something that I do almost weekly. If it can drown out wind noise from my Scorp 700 and Jet engines all the while being comfortable, it gets my vote. Clicky

#20 ·
+ 1 on JVC marshmallows....Best headphones I ever had...

the sound of them is the best (JMO) I was able to hear the bass lines which in many other songs I barely heard them with regular headphones. Like you can hear everything in a much better way...Definetly best headphones ever....

#27 ·
+1000 on the JVC marshmallows...I have ben singing the praises of these for some time on this board. WAY best bang for the buck and block out wind noise like a good set of Hearos.
To the guy who complained about the cord length, get an extension!
To the guy who said one side quit working, +1 on taking them apart to check the tube for ear wax.

#28 ·
I got a set of the Marshmellows on the recommendation of someone on here, and they are completely ghey! :p

The foam part is barely 2mm thick. There's no room for it to compress and expand out. They could have made the mic tube thinner and added more foam. In my experience, they're no different than any set of in-ear buds. But at least it was a cheap $18 mistake. Anyone looking for foam type buds, Koss has a eet too. Check those out when looking at the JVC.

But above all, pay close attention to your ears. If they're ringing after you get off, or if your hearing becomes more sensitive, you're likely doing permanent damage.

#29 ·
The Etymotic flanged tips (the part that goes in your ear canal) are very comfortable, stay put reasonably well, and do a good job of noise isolation. You can buy just the tips from Etymotic. They cost only a few dollars each but come in multi-packs. I know that some people have used them on earphones from other manufacturers. Obviously, you would have to determine if they would fit on whichever phones you have, but it might be worth the effort.

My stepson was given a ticket by a somewhat overzealous FHP officer for wearing earphones while operating a bicycle. He requested a court hearing and the judge dismissed the case when he heard that the kid was riding a bicycle. However, it IS illegal in Florida to have them in both ears while operating a MV and bicycles are technically subject to the same traffic laws as MVs. Different states have different laws about this, so check your locale if you plan to ride or drive with them.

I have been stopped a couple of times while wearing them but have managed to get them out before the LEO noticed them.

#34 ·
I picked up a pair of maxell from Fry's (electronics store down here) for <$15 after tax ;D
I love em b/c they sounds good and the only hard part is the actual bud so you don't have hard plastic pressed against your ear w/the lid on...and I only use one b/c they are earbuds and can double as earplugs LoL

#39 ·
etymotic er-6i's, hands down.

Look on Amazon, they're slightly above your $50 max, but it's worth it. (I think I picked mine up for ~75 on Amazon)

There is absolutely 0 interference with putting my helmet on, I can listen to music for the boring parts of the rides, turn it off for the technical sections making them act like ear plugs.

#40 ·
Just so I'm clear - ear buds sit in the outer part of the ear like the white buds that come with iPods. Ear canal headphones go in the ear. These are the one that offer a lot more noise isolation and you can keep the music at a lower volume. Buds are worthless for hearing protection.

I use Westones but they are pretty expensive. While you are riding you won't need audiophile quality but you might find that you want to listen off the bike as well.

One other thing - everyone's ears are shaped differently so what is comfortable to one will be unbearable to another. The type of insert will also determine the sound quality and the amount of hearing protection.

Try this site for some around $50. They have been around for a long time.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-headphone-type/in-ear-monitor-type/
Ride safe....

#45 ·
Depending on the area you are in in PA cops can be brutal. I have been pulled over with a bunch of other riders to check laws about the spacing of our turn signals and such. It was a painful day for the wallet. luckily for me I was mostly legal and the couple of areas I was not I was only given a notice to repair or a fine. I took it to the dealership and all was actually within specs so they signed off on it...The one area with the rear turn signals that I was not I was within 1/2" (a 1/4 freaking inch on each side...) so they passed me anyway.

I get stopped on a monthly basis with my LEDs at night though even though it is now legal in PA for LEDs. Cops dont know the rules so I keep a print out of House Bill 901 under my tail.... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.