Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What made the biggest difference seat shape or the kind of foam used? I'm going to redo my seat this summer and I was wondering what helped your butt the most. And also what I should avoid. Thanks in advance. Tom

·
Registered
246 Posts
Both.

I have a sergeant seat I bought off another forum member. Fantastic!! I've sat on a corbin as well, and those feel great too. And it's not about whether one is better than the other, it's which seat's cut/style fits your bum.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I did mine myself to save $$. Took my time and contoured it with an olfa knife blade. Kept on cutting / dryfitting and sitting until it felt right, then took a 3/4" low density foam and covered over the shaved original foam. Then I reapplied the original covering that I had carefully removed. I gained about an 1 1/2" of touching the ground (I took extra off to gain it) and my bum is MUCH happier. So far so good. I figured the alteration didn't cost me anything other than a blade and a few staples....so if I really screwed up, THEN I'd pay for a custom one.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Unless you're just looking to spend time experimenting, send it to this guy:

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

He already knows exactly what to do, and the price is about what you'll spend on materials and tools.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
+1 to Great Day to Ride. I got my seat back about a month ago, it now has a much firmer foam in it, with almost the stock shape. I find it much easier to slide around because I'm not trapped down inside the foam, I'm sitting on top of it. Plus the slightly rounder edges relieve a lot of the pressure points that caused the pain of the factory seat. $75 plus shipping, one week turnaround from removal and boxing to reinstallation, and better customer service than any other business I've dealt with in the past.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
That's cool Shaun. I was going to send my SV seat there before I sold it, I'm glad it is working out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
+1000 for the spencer seat mod. Excellent service and turn around. I am comfortable on 200+ mile days where before I was uncomfortable at anything over 100 miles. Don't waste your time and money doing it yourself send it to him.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
+1001 to Spencer's seat mod

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I shaved mine and used a gel pad insert.....I made it lower which made it wider...covered it with 1/4" foam and recovered with original cover. I did both seats.

·
Registered
771 Posts
hey Packman... where'd you get that backrest?? it looks custom made out of stainless. That's what my daughter wants me to put on the bike for her. I just haven't bothered looking into it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
hey Packman... where'd you get that backrest?? it looks custom made out of stainless. That's what my daughter wants me to put on the bike for her. I just haven't bothered looking into it.
I made it from plain old mild steel...most of which I had laying around.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=82311

It just looks shinny since I had just gone over it with the grinder. It's painted now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Any recommendations on how to repair a bad cover & damaged foam? I emailed agreatdaytoride but he needs the factory cover & intact foam.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Any recommendations on how to repair a bad cover & damaged foam? I emailed agreatdaytoride but he needs the factory cover & intact foam.
Get a new seat....someone was just selling one. Or, go to the fabric store and get some marine vinyl and make a new cover.....as far as the foam....cut out the bad section and use 3M 77 and glue in a new chunk and shape that to fit, then recover with the marine vinyl.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, I'm not having much luck finding a 1st gen in good shape. I just missed one on eBay - I put it on my watch list and then forgot about it...it went for ten bucks...AGH...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts