Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, just registered and in need of some info.

A few days ago I bought a 99 SV 650 S from a dealer. Bad. Rear brake light switch was i thought faulty. Wrong. In actuality they or someone else had fitted CFM/Woodcraft rear sets (RACE ONLY) and had managed to register it on my behalf. I'm going to have to give them a stern talking to.

If anyone can inform as to whether footrest for the 03 model and onwards will fit on the earlier bikes - same bolt spacing for the bracket?

TIA Lance

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would never go back to stock rearsets.

There are a few options.

Two of the top of my head.

Ride with no rear brake light switch. Like many people here do.

Or buy a banjo bolt pressure switch for the caliper. which will work with any rearset since it isn't connected to it in any way besides brake line pressure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I have seen the brake pressure switch and they are a cheap fix by the looks. My bike has braided lines - will that complicate installation. Might seem a silly question but I'm pretty limited mechanically.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All you are doing is replacing the rear bolt that holds in your brake line to your caliper with that bolt which doubles as a pressure switch, and connecting it directly to your rear brake switch connector.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You can rig it so you just use the stock bracke light switch, done that more than once never had an issue.

The second gen rear sets do not work on your bike.
All the 1. Gens do and the srad Models, might be more but I am not sure.

·
Registered
243 Posts

There are a few options.

Two of the top of my head.

Ride with no rear brake light switch. Like many people here do.

Or buy a banjo bolt pressure switch for the caliper. which will work with any rearset since it isn't connected to it in any way besides brake line pressure.
I totally agree with the above.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but what's so bad about the stock rearsets? I was looking at the Vortex rearsets the other day and liked that they were adjustable--is that the main reason for getting aftermarkets? Having nothing to compare to, I don't know anything wrong with the stocks, but I would like lower ones so I don't get so cramped up.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
At least with woodcraft the brake and shift arm is made out of several pieces and you exchange just the broken part not the whole arm.

They offer also a bracket which has a more aggressive position than the stock SVS.

But at least for the 1. gen, woodcrafts are not adjustable.

Of course most important is the bling bling factor over stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aftermarket rearsets are more adjustable, quality made. Most are built that you can replace single pieces and not the whole rearset if something should happen to it.

I had my shifter break when I had stock rearsets on my bike. They are made out of pot metal, which is incredibly brittle. When I got my woodcraft rearsets, I took that broken shifter and dropped it 5 feet onto concrete, and wow, little pieces came right off it.

I personally have woodcrafts on my bike. Love em. They will sell you any individual piece that you need, so that you don't have to buy another whole kit. It's great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the replies. At the moment have the switch spring threaded through the footrest bracket and attached to the actual brake lever with fine wire - looks ugly, but is holding up for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts