Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question,

the other day i was practicing cornering on a corner, tried to scrape my knee on the ground. I think i went down far enough to drag my knee, but foot peg was touching before my knee could get any close to the ground. Do you guys get similar things?
Im riding sv650 naked version

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Got a question,

the other day i was practicing cornering on a corner, tried to scrape my knee on the ground. I think i went down far enough to drag my knee, but foot peg was touching before my knee could get any close to the ground. Do you guys get similar things?
Im riding sv650 naked version

If u have OEM rearsets, they may not be far enough up and back.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Could be a number of things.
May be a body positioning issue. (rotating around the tank rather than staying square to the bike and sliding laterally)
May be your rearsets
May be your suspension
May be your technique
Or any combination of the four.

Regardless of the reason, you're running out of ground clearance. Ways to increase that are: Higher footpegs, better suspension set-up, positive throttle, proper body positioning.

Have you sought out any professional instruction, be it a track day or an advanced rider clinic?
Any work done to your suspension?

(Also worth noting that you should only be attempting this stuff in a safe environment. Ten years of riding, racing & teaching and I've yet to drag a knee on a public road.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be a number of things.
May be a body positioning issue. (rotating around the tank rather than staying square to the bike and sliding laterally)
May be your rearsets
May be your suspension
May be your technique
Or any combination of the four.

Regardless of the reason, you're running out of ground clearance. Ways to increase that are: Higher footpegs, better suspension set-up, positive throttle, proper body positioning.

Have you sought out any professional instruction, be it a track day or an advanced rider clinic?
Any work done to your suspension?

(Also worth noting that you should only be attempting this stuff in a safe environment. Ten years of riding, racing & teaching and I've yet to drag a knee on a public road.)
Thanks for the info
I was watching keith code - twist of the wrist and was trying to put it on to action. Was wearing full gear like power ranger. And was on empty space of my uni campus nice pavement, no one goes there :)

I'll look into rear set extensions ;)

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
...and take the 'feelers' off the bottom of the pegs...

ijs...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I race with factory rearsets on my cbr. Try adjusting your body position. Off the bike further.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I race with factory rearsets on my cbr. Try adjusting your body position. Off the bike further.
Factory rearset position on a CBR is going to be quite different than an SV

That being said.

Don't try to drag knee. Try to corner better and knee dragging will follow. Reading/watching instructional material is great, but nothing beats a good instructor, track, and practice. Find an advanced riding class and take it. They are very informative and just plain fun. And usually cheaper than a speeding ticket.

Also, there is no practical reason to drag on the street, I have yet to find a corner that I could even come close to dragging on while doing anything near the speed limit. It also means you're getting to the edge of your tire and bike lean angle limits. So if something happened you would have very little wiggle room to avoid obstacles or critters or potholes or whatever.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Factory rearset position on a CBR is going to be quite different than an SV

That being said.

Don't try to drag knee. Try to corner better and knee dragging will follow. Reading/watching instructional material is great, but nothing beats a good instructor, track, and practice. Find an advanced riding class and take it. They are very informative and just plain fun. And usually cheaper than a speeding ticket.

Also, there is no practical reason to drag on the street, I have yet to find a corner that I could even come close to dragging on while doing anything near the speed limit. It also means you're getting to the edge of your tire and bike lean angle limits. So if something happened you would have very little wiggle room to avoid obstacles or critters or potholes or whatever.
Actually less than 3 mm difference. Ive already had my knee down on the sv without touching the pegs.

However i agree with everything you have said after. Training is everything. The more seat time the better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have run into the same issue, but I attribute the pegs scraping to poor BP on my part.

I am running GSXR internals in my forks, a Penske Double, and have the SVRacing parts 1 up/ 1 back rearset riser plates.

I tend to not "push" my knee out and I dont get my upper body low and over enough.....all the while running a slow red group pace. SO basically I am cranking the bike over, using up ALL the tire, but with horrible BP. Im lucky I have not crashed out yet honestly. My first trackday out I was grinding peg left and right. It was not till a coach followed me on my last session did he point out my poor upper body position.

But, going along w/ what the other guys are saying, it could be a ton of diff things. BP, rearsets, suspension, throttle control, etc. For me it is BP. :facepalm:

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say that its your body position. I had some similar experiences. What do the rear wear lines on the back of your tires look like?
Any video of you riding. Are you getting your head directly over your hand?

·
Registered
513 Posts
What would the wear lines on the back of his tire have to do with anything? You can use the tires to their max without proper BP. Is it the most effective way to go fast around a curve? No. But you can do it

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you wear your tires all the way to the edge and your not dragging your knee or getting off the bike far enough, that is a recipe for disaster. It means ur at the limit, there is nothing else and on top of it, your not getting far enough off the bike. Take a look at guys that run in A or fast I guys. Look at their tires. They are barely all the way to the edge. Looking at where his are might give him some reference on where the bike is.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I completely agree that if you are using the very edge of your tire, while scarping peg, along with bad BP, spells disaster. However, you do not need to scrape knee to use the edge of your tires. Use the edge of the back tire all you wish, its when you get to the limits of the front tire you need to be worried. The A groups front tire still has about 1/4 inch of unused tread, but their back tires are toast all the way to the edge.

No matter though, I agree that it will give him a good indicator on where his bike is and if the tires are worn to the edge while scraping peg it more than likely means bad BP. I think I misinterpreted what you said previously :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
60 Posts
You SHOULD be dragging hard parts before your knee is down. You should be dragging the ever loving crap out of hard parts, first. If your knee is down and you aren't dragging hard parts yet, you are doing it wrong and need to work on body position, because you aren't there yet. Or you've raced so far past the bar with all sorts of useless upgrades before you even knew what bar was there to raise. Anyone who tells you differently needs their own riding evaluated.

It's good to hear you're practicing this on a closed course. There is no reason for a knee to ever even peek out on the street. Keep in mind that getting your knee down is a long process of learning and when it NEEDS to happen, it will come naturally.

And remember, there really is no such thing as "trying" to get your knee down. If it doesn't touch down, you probably aren't ready yet. When it does so naturally in the course of your track time, you're probably ready to progress to the next level of learning. If you are "trying" to get your knee down, you are forcing it down, which means you're likely in a situation that does not warrant it. This can be just as dangerous as it looks stupid for any number of reasons, upsetting the entire chassis notwithstanding.

Just remember that you can drag knee on anything if you try hard enough and not even lean the motorcycle over if you're a big enough SQUID.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be this guy, with your entire body off the motorcycle and no lean angle to speak of. He sure got his knee down, but he isn't any better of a rider for it because he's riding with such atrocious body position. Apparently he's going to ride straight into the camera, too, because he doesn't feel it important enough to be looking through the corner.

My recommendation wouldn't be to learn HOW to get your knee down, but WHEN your knee needs to creep out some. Once you know the when, you'll figure out the how.

Safe riding!

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
You SHOULD be dragging hard parts before your knee is down. You should be dragging the ever loving crap out of hard parts, first. If your knee is down and you aren't dragging hard parts yet, you are doing it wrong and need to work on body position, because you aren't there yet.
Really? Can you explain more? I would expect it to be the other way. I always considered your knee is the indicator that you are close to the limit and hard parts ARE the limit.

Example: if you are crossed up, hard parts will be closer to the ground while your knee will be further from the ground when compared to proper body position at the same speed.

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts
You SHOULD be dragging hard parts before your knee is down. You should be dragging the ever loving crap out of hard parts, first. If your knee is down and you aren't dragging hard parts yet, you are doing it wrong and need to work on body position, because you aren't there yet.

WTF?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Really? Can you explain more? I would expect it to be the other way. I always considered your knee is the indicator that you are close to the limit and hard parts ARE the limit.

Example: if you are crossed up, hard parts will be closer to the ground while your knee will be further from the ground when compared to proper body position at the same speed.
Stock hard parts are designed to touch down before anything else, even in modestly aggressive riding conditions. If you've upgraded parts such as rearsets, then you've pushed the bar up a little bit and may never find out that you would be dragging a feeler or a peg when you're cranked over.

Depending on the bike and the rider, that may give a false sense of accomplishment and security when there is much more to learn such as what tire feedback or steering feedback feels like when you are pushing the limits at ever increasing lean angles. Once you've learned what it feels like to drag your footpeg the entire way through a corner while managing a front end wobble or having it sliding laterally under braking, and you feel your tires becomming hot and greasy, then it's time to bump the bar up some more and really evaluate your riding (better yet, have someone who is known to be a suitably experienced rider help with tips and suggestions) to see if there is anything more that you can learn at your current level of riding.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts