Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a commom problem? Or just common on a bike that has done some pavement surfing on its right side???

THe right foot peg can be wiggled around, and sometimes it can jam/hold the brake pedal such that the brake will not relaese until take weight off the foot peg. Ew - not good.

The allen bolt is tight. And, yes, have the foot pegs oreiented so that the tabs on the end of the peg fit in the slot in the bracket.
Have taken that mounting bracklet, and foot peg, and the brake pedal apart from each other. It seems that the hole in the bracket is noticably larger than the bolt, bolt fits trough real loosley. The picture in the parts catalog made it look like the bolt should be something of a shoulder bolt, so we thought maybe the PO repaired it with just a standard bolt, so we ordered the Suzuki replacement. But that one was just the same, so no improvement.

Anybody have any experience with this?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Peg is bent or oblong cylinder but I'm guessing the rearset peg is bent. You can take it apart and sand the brake lever hole a bit then regrease it so it no longer sticks.

Grav.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
GraVitY said:
Peg is bent or oblong cylinder but I'm guessing the rearset peg is bent. You can take it apart and sand the brake lever hole a bit then regrease it so it no longer sticks.

Grav.
good advice. If its the stock rearset, does it have the brake return spring?My wood crafts hang w/out return spring,though many here dont have one at all and have no problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responces Grav & BB.

Here is some further info that maybe I should have stated initially:
- Is stock peg/brake.
- Peg is straight (but is can be wiggled).
- Peg and bolt both wiggle together. Bolt is tight. Got the Suzuki replacement bolt, is same as what was in there.
- Brake lever has the return spring (and brake switch spring). Spring is strong.
- But if have a lot of weight on peg, then the peg is pushed down and holds the brake lever and doesnt let the brake lever return. If take weight of peg, then brake lever returns.
- Hole in the bracket that the bolt passes thru is noticably bigger than the bolt. SHould that be? Maybe that happened in the crash.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Definatly sounds like crash damage to me .you should try ebay for a used one,if you have the non s version I belive you can get a diffrent position by getting the s version .Pegs will be slightly further back,I could be wrong,it happens daily.Good luck. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
This happens on my graves rear sets if I tighten the bolt to tight on the foot peg. Since I don't know what the stock rear sets are like, I don't know if this would apply

·
Registered
449 Posts
Is this a used bike, or have you had it since new? Quite important as I'm assuming that the bolt in there is no longer stock, slightly longer. A quick fix would be to place a washer on the bolt before you put it on, that way it won't wiggle. Or you could shave a bit off the bolt with a sander or a dremel. I would lean more toward the washer idea though. Is what's happening is that the bolt is bottomed out in the peg not allowing it to tighten to the rearset assembly. This wiggle is causing the brake lever to stick as the peg is putting pressure on the brake not allowing it to return. Your foot on the peg is only making the situation worse.

Grav.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah, BB, is similar situation that you have, but with this the peg angles down and holds the brake lever from returning. If pick up foot from the peg, the peg then lets the brake lever return.

Sounds like a good idea, Grav, Thanks.

Other info:-
- yep, is realtivley new bike to us. Got it off Ebay in November.
- Is an '00 SV650, not S. Son was specifically looking for 1st gen non-S.
- Yes, the foot peg wiggles like maybe the end of the bolt is bottomed out. Can try a washer (although washer would have to fit in same countersunk hole as the bolt head). Other option would be to shorten the bolt, and we have an extra bolt now, so that is a good option to pursue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE

We worked on it the other day. We shortened up the bolt a little bit, and that really took care of most of the problem. Thanks guys.

So I conclude one of two things:
- Maybe the replacement Suzuki bolt is too long, so peg doesnt seat well into the bracket.
OR
- THe peg and bracket has crash damage such that the peg doesnt seat well into the bracket. The peg looked okay, but the bracket did have some damage where the peg seats into it.

And we found that there is a complete set of the peg and bracket on EBay for a reasonaalbe minimum bid. I have only been here on SVR for a short time, maybe not long eneough to claim dibs on that, but I'll try anyway: I claim dibs on the footpeg and braket on Ebay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hopefully this thread isn't dead..... Here is my attempt to revive it if it is.
OldGuyOldBike said:
We worked on it the other day. We shortened up the bolt a little bit, and that really took care of most of the problem. Thanks guys.
Allright old man. That bolt didn't really help like you said, it got better but not 'fixed' I don't know what I was doing letting you wrench on my bike (ooh yeah now I remember, I was drugged up and recovering from surgery, thanks for helping) but I think I tracked down the true culprit. And here are the pics.

It got worse since we first worked on it. The groove to keep the peg from rotating was worn much more obviously. But I can't imagine that the whole plate bent even more than when we took it apart the first time, and therefore we should have noticed that first thing. Ohh well, just another sign that it has in fact been down hard despite the previous owners claim it was not.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Unless he weighed 500 lbs. That rearset is bent! I would by new but not OEM as they're just as expensive as aftermarket, plus some aftermarket companies allow you to just replace the broken piece, not the whole assy.

Grav.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
GraVitY said:
Unless he weighed 500 lbs. That rearset is bent! I would by new but not OEM as they're just as expensive as aftermarket, plus some aftermarket companies allow you to just replace the broken piece, not the whole assy.

Grav.
Which ones??? I am in the same boat. Same bend..

Its easy to just toe up the brake when it sticks... but the other day I went to hit the back brake and locked it up (hard stop on downtown asphalt. Went to modulate... brake pedal stuck. Took me about 20 feet to react and get a toe under it. front brake of course did the stopping. but it was not fun coming to a stop kinda sideways (at least not when its an accident)

Shane

·
Registered
449 Posts
WoodCraft work real nice. I've learned that rearsets are more of a personal preforance. Racers like WoodCraft as they can be pieced together making them cheaper. Other than that I would try to keep them greased so it doesn't stick.

Grav.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With weight on the peg it is pinching the brake lever, so greasing it up didn't help. I have been toeing the brake too, but sometimes I forget and a few minutes later lift my weight off the peg and it gets noticibly faster. I have also noticed a better gas mileage when I didn't experience one of the forgetful moments throughout a tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay VarnerJu, so you think that bracket should be straight, eh?
Yah, we didn't notice that before when working on it, so you got some excuse about being drugged up from surgery, I'll have to make up some excuse too!

So you are thinking the bracket being bent makes it such that the peg doent seat well into the bracket, then peg wiggles around and binds the brake lever.

You have a press in shop at work . . . . . ?

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
varnerJu said:
With weight on the peg it is pinching the brake lever, so greasing it up didn't help. I have been toeing the brake too, but sometimes I forget and a few minutes later lift my weight off the peg and it gets noticibly faster. I have also noticed a better gas mileage when I didn't experience one of the forgetful moments throughout a tank.
Funny.... same exact problem here. It took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on because when I got back to diagnose the bike if my foot was not on the peg it wouldnt stick!

Thanks Gravity, I will check out the woodcraft plates.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts