Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey..

I was wondering, what happens when you lean into the curve and your foot hits the pavement? I haven't been in that situation, and don't know what to expect. Can someone explain? Does it scare the shi t out of you? I wear a size 12 shoe, and the heal of my shoe rest against the foot pegs. How far of a lean before my foot hits pavement?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Shoould try riding the ball of your foot on the peg. Gotta be way over to catch your foot and at worst(at least that i've ever seen it startles the rider and maybe slips your foot of the peg.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Yup, ball of your foot should be on the pegs when cornering with toes tucked in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stupid question: is the ball of your foot the area right before the toes? Are you suppose to position your foot there all the time when not shifting or breaking? resting the heal of my shoe against the foot pegs just feels right.. i guess that a bad habit I just started and need to break... thanks guys

·
Registered
434 Posts
you got it. if you can get in the habit of riding on the balls of your feet when not braking or shifting you'll find that the bike will become more responsive to weihgt transfering. plus it'll save on the boots.

·
Registered
539 Posts
risky_analyst said:
stupid question: is the ball of your foot the area right before the toes? Are you suppose to position your foot there all the time when not shifting or breaking? resting the heal of my shoe against the foot pegs just feels right.. i guess that a bad habit I just started and need to break... thanks guys
pretty much. i pivot the ball of my foot on the end of my peg. some just ride with the ball of their foot on the peg. just dont corner on your heels.

·
Registered
130 Posts
risky_analyst said:
I hope you mean boot, not shoe. And like many others have said, have your balls of your feet on the pegs at all times you aren't shifting or braking. It will become more comfortable with time.

I'd recommend boots because
a) foot injuries are the most common mc injury
b) I went down in textile gear and tennis shoes, only injury was small rash where shoe DISSOLVED and this was only at 25-30 mph
c) MC boots generally have toe sliders, so if you have your foot up and it touches it won't disrupt the bike so much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
amcquinn86 said:
I hope you mean boot, not shoe. And like many others have said, have your balls of your feet on the pegs at all times you aren't shifting or braking. It will become more comfortable with time.

I'd recommend boots because
a) foot injuries are the most common mc injury
b) I went down in textile gear and tennis shoes, only injury was small rash where shoe DISSOLVED and this was only at 25-30 mph
c) MC boots generally have toe sliders, so if you have your foot up and it touches it won't disrupt the bike so much.
thank you for your concern. yes, I meant boots. I wear full gear at all times, with the exception of wearing jeans

·
Registered
130 Posts
risky_analyst said:
thank you for your concern. yes, I meant boots. I wear full gear at all times, with the exception of wearing jeans
Sorry if I came across as preachy. I tend to do that when it comes to gear :D I've only dragged my toe on the track, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much now. 2 trackdays ago I nearly wrecked hard because of my toe hitting and now, even though it sometimes surprises me, doesn't cause me to panic.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ivan said:
You might want to reverse the shift linkage of your bike. If you're going around a left hand turn and you need to shift up, it may be a bit difficult to get your boot between the shift lever and the pavement. I haven't done this yet to my bike 'cause I'm a lazy ass, but all but my first bike (I've had 6 bikes total) I've used reverse linkage.

Not a big deal if you are on smooth roads, but yes I've frightened myself silly once hitting a bump with my boot under the shift lever and forcing an unintended upshift (which is why I changed to reverse shifting).
Yeah cause an unintended *downshift* mid corner is sooooo much better.

Look here 'GP' boy, just about the last freaking thing most average street riders need to do is try to retrain shifting.  That will make for several embarassing mid intersection no shifts out of first to negative first.  And heaven forbid a panic situation comes up. 

[email protected]!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ivan said:
Not a big deal if you are on smooth roads, but yes I've frightened myself silly once hitting a bump with my boot under the shift lever and forcing an unintended upshift (which is why I changed to reverse shifting).
Yet another reason to ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs and not in between the levers.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Everybody - relax.

Nobody's being hostile (check out Gixxer.com or the Cycle World forums for the true definition of hositlity). Several are getting bent, being smarta$$ess. Deep breaths. Relax. These are motorcycles - by definition these things are fun - stop making it work. For me - and for you. :)

You shouldn't be riding with your heels against the pegs in corners. That's lousy (lazy?) technique. That's not a dig - that's fact. Max control and safety comes when you've on the balls of your feet. Particularly when cornering.

Dragging toes with your heels against the pegs is easy. You're toes are several inches below the pegs at that point. Doesn't take much.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
risky_analyst said:
hey..

I was wondering, what happens when you lean into the curve and your foot hits the pavement?  I haven't been in that situation, and don't know what to expect.  Can someone explain?  Does it scare the shi  t out of you?  I wear a size 12 shoe, and the heal of my shoe rest against the foot pegs.  How far of a lean before my foot hits pavement?
I don't think anyone has answered your question,

the first time your toes scrape the pavement, it will startle you, BUT if your taking the right lines and shifting your weight properly, you shouldn't have to lean that much that often

S

·
0 Posts
Remember once youre scraping the peg instead of feet, that you dont keep your weight on the peg while its scraping. I did that once and it levered my rear tire off the ground and I lowsided.

·
Registered
537 Posts
when will you scrape your foot?  depends on various things but if you keep your feet w/ the arch of your foot on the pegs, it will scrape sooner than when you have the balls of your feet on the pegs.

1st time i touched my foot down on the street was when i didn't know any better and rode w/ the archs on the pegs going up an onramp. left a nice big scuff mark on my sneaks which i thought was cool being the poseur that i am. but it did freak me out a little and i thought i was at the end of the bike's clearance which has waaay more clearance than i thought it had (brand new 01 sixxer). started putting the balls of my feet on the pegs, never scraped since except vary rarely on the track.

i only touch my toe down occasionally. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
svslider said:
Remember once youre scraping the peg instead of feet, that you dont keep your weight on the peg while its scraping. I did that once and it levered my rear tire off the ground and I lowsided.
This is precisely why you should endeavor to develop a technique that keeps you from scraping a peg. As has been stated ad naseum on this board - peg scraping on the street is flat stupid.

Scraping on the track, while slightly more forgivable, is less about speed and more about technique.

K

·
0 Posts
risky_analyst said:
thank you for your concern.  yes, I meant boots.  I wear full gear at all times, with the exception of wearing jeans
You should try the Icon knee armor that goes under jeans ;D

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
It scared me. If your feet are in the right position (balls of feet on the peg, toes tucked) you have to be way over. And if all goes well they will slide and not grab (ripping your foot off the peg) bad news at that lean angle.

·
Registered
397 Posts
heh thats good advice...back in the day i used to scrape my boots all the time on the pavement....the tip of my boots are like flat ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts