Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just found a new dilemma. I want to take my motorcycle to go fly fishing (seeing as how it's the only form of transportation I own). I feel like I would be able to get to a fishing hole fine. Just throw a backpack on with my waders, vest, and rod in it. But the issues comes whenever I get to the hole. I will have my jacket, boots, and helmet to leave with the bike. I can throw my waders on over top of jeans which I will wear for the ride.

I can use the helmet hooks underneath the passenger seat for helmet security. I can use a bike lock I have for my jacket to the bike, and possibly the packpack if I don't feel like carrying it around. My issue really comes with the boots. Should I risk leaving them with the bike just sitting underneath it? Or possibly try to throw them into the backpack and lock it all up on the bike?

Has anyone else ever tried fishing with their motorcycle?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
If you have a luggage lock, log the boots in the backpack and lock the back pack along with the rest of your gear.

or carry your back with you and leave it in sight.

Or skip boots, just where what you are going to use fly fishing.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Boots are always the bugaboo in mc travel, at least if you don't have hard locking luggage. Take them with you to the water's edge?

It would be great if mc boot makers put something in their designs that allowed their boots to be attached to a bike via cable lock.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to sacrifice my fishing gear in the event of an accident. Fishing gear isn't a whole lot cheaper than motorcycle gear, and it's a whole lot less durable. I don't have a luggage rack on my bike. I usually get by with my backpack lol.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My boots (not motorcycle) fit into my waders... So i could just throw on jeans and I'd be good to go... ive never done it though cause i have a car.

But i would buy a cheap lock for your backpack zippers and just leave it all together and run a cable lock through everything.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My waders are stocking foot with wading boots that go on after so I can't put my boots on underneath them. Maybe I'll look at picking up some locks for my backpack. I don't really like that idea as much as I should though because I know how easy it is to pick a lock, especially one small like that. Damn my paranoia. Why is everyone always trying to take my crap...

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
what's stopping you from riding the bike right to the shore? and how far do you plan to walk away from it...?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tie them up in a tree where no one can see them?

I'm actually serious. :)
Maybe not a tree, but hiding them seems like a great idea.

And, yeah, if the manufacture (or owner) installed a grommet or something in each boot that one could run a cable through....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never really know how far away I'll get from the bike. I've ended up a few miles from my car before on the stream. Maybe I can find a hollow tree and hope I don't get a nest of fire ants in my boots :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts