Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I think we're just like #4 in the largest biker community so we have more bikes to sell and buy. It didn't take me long to find my lovely SV.

Florida Rocks!!! It may be flat as a 13year old but it rocks!!!! :)

G

·
RandyO said:
nickolai said:
Few people want to ride up there in the tundra, so as a result you pay higher prices for the bikes you do get.

We are actually blessed with year round good riding weather, so it makes more people want to get out there and ride and buy bikes and what not.

It sure is nice living in the tropics. I think I'll go back and hang out in my tiki hut while I sip my margarita while my many bikini-clad lady friends feed me kiwi. :wink:
you have good riding weather in the dead of winter, that's about it, the rest of the year, Florida is only fit for sitting in an air conditioned building or cage
My bumper sticker on the cage says: "Snowbird, the other white meat."

Summers here are mild by comparison to everything from Death Valley east to Georgia. Average year-round temps in the low 70's; Average July high temps in the low 90's. Humidity inspires perspiration, but you don't dehydrate as quickly. If you can't stand wet, then it would suck for you. Otherwise, it ain't bad.

AND, you got it wrong... it's 9 months that we have splendid riding weather and 3 months of kinda sauna-like riding weather. I'm glad more folks don't like it so much, though, or we'd be even more overrun with people than we already are. I live in the densest populated county, and the traffic is getting worse. In 10 years, it'll probably be as bad as Dallas/Ft. Worth was 10 years ago... which was like the LA area 20 years ago.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Candyasses. I'm surrounded by a bunch of candyasses. Won't ride in winter because it's too cold, and won't ride in summer because it's too hot. I mean, WTF, do you guys ride during that happy few minutes in Spring where the weather's just right?

:wink:

G

·
nickolai said:
Candyasses. I'm surrounded by a bunch of candyasses. Won't ride in winter because it's too cold, and won't ride in summer because it's too hot. I mean, WTF, do you guys ride during that happy few minutes in Spring where the weather's just right?

LMAO

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
nickolai said:
Candyasses. I'm surrounded by a bunch of candyasses.
:roll: They run out of Wild Turkey, HOF? :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Too bad we have earthquakes

I was in school when this happened back in the day. :?

I live in TX now...

·
Registered
336 Posts
the funny thing is that ohio has the most registered motorcycles of any state... this may be per capita, but it's still sweet! bikes are really big up here. and we went from six 90 degree days last summer, to almost 20 or so already this summer. so it's plenty hot, plus we've been seein 100% humidity for the last week straight. although my father is in AZ this week where it was 90 by 10 am and 116 degrees everyday!!! deserts suck!

·
Registered
165 Posts
nickolai said:

Obviously you've never tried to ride in full gear in the south Florida long hot summers before. Unless you weigh 150 soaking wet or something, it's brutal on the body's cooling system. There's a world of difference between south Florida and Tallahassee or St Pete weather wise if you look at the whole year.

Randy O. I sent that pic to my riding buddy who's from Maine but lives in Miami now. I can't tell you how many times he's told me about riding the Kancamangus highway on his bike with one of his kids on the back. We're gonna do a ride to Maine in the fall.

·
Registered
449 Posts
i dont think FL is all that. Humidity sucks, and the roads down there are neither curvy or in that good of a condition.

if i lived near Miami i'd still like a beach scooter.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
stingray said:
Obviously you've never tried to ride in full gear in the south Florida long hot summers before. Unless you weigh 150 soaking wet or something, it's brutal on the body's cooling system. There's a world of difference between south Florida and Tallahassee or St Pete weather wise if you look at the whole year.
I've ridden in full gear on a 100+ day (complete with high humidity, but I don't remember what it was). I'm sure I can handle the day-to-day low to mid 90s, albeit with a little higher humidity, down south.

There is a difference, but it's not that much.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The weekend before last my wife and I went for a 120 mile cruise on some back roads east of Kissimmee. It was in the mid-upper 90s with high humidity. I was in my full gear. As long as we were moving I was OK, as soon as we stopped I was a wet mop. When we got home I didn't think I could get enough liquid into me. The mesh jacket lets the air through and the evaporative effect (providing you sweat alot) keeps the temp bearable. It's tough, but road rash or worse is tougher!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Actually, you have the potential to be better off in full gear if you do it right. If you're really hot, then take along a couple of bottles of water. Pour some water on your shirt underneath your gear and it'll keep you cool for awhile, since it has the same effect as sweat. When it evaporates, pour a little more water on and you'll be fine for awhile. This should help out a lot with the stop and go city traffic.

I've never had a problem on the open road, but the water deal helps there too.

Riding in really hot weather with no gear on will dehydrate you really quick, and dehydration is considered to be a bad thing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
nickolai said:
stingray said:
I've ridden in full gear on a 100+ day (complete with high humidity, but I don't remember what it was). I'm sure I can handle the day-to-day low to mid 90s, albeit with a little higher humidity, down south.

There is a difference, but it's not that much.
It's way more than you think, I've lived in Gainesville and Orlando as well as Austin Texas, my brother lives near St Pete, ny sister lived in Tallahassee. I know from experience

I can do it too for a day or two but it's not worth it. Who wants to be totally miserable and look like crap when you get where you're going. It get's really old after a month. There's a huge difference when the city you're in has 50 times more traffic, is 10 times bigger, and there's a red light at every corner and the hot humid weather lasts most of the year with very little relief at night. Weighing 230 lbs and being cold blooded doesn't help either. I can ride on the highway or back roads (we don't have many here) with a mesh jacket if I'm constantly moving in the summer. It's not that much fun but I can do it. But in the city, it's almost a certain heat stroke if you try. 99.9% of the people on bikes here are in shorts and t-shirts in the late spring/summer/early fall. You pretty much never see anyone in full gear. They would almost all certainly have heat strokes. Also the sun is more intense here than in Tallahasse, and it heats up your gear, moreso than you realize. It bakes you. Don't get me wrong, the weather is ok here for normal life, just not for full gear on a bike riding in the city more than half the year.

G

·
Okay, I don't know where in South Florida you live, but it's not that bad in St. Pete... to me. I've been wearing a cordura jacket this summer, and it's comfortable enough that I'm thinking of ditching the Joe Rocket Phoenix on ebay. The most pernicious problem is sweating. At least we don't have to worry about dehydration to the extent the folks in Texas and Arizona do. I remember Texas: drink lots of water every 30 minutes. Here, you can go for an hour.

(But dang those noseeums when they appear... I hate 'em worse than mosquitoes... like chiggers with wings... )

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
This is just a difference in heat tolerance, then. I've just never been in a situation where it was just too hot to ride in. I didn't think it was too hot just walking around in the Miami area when I went earlier this summer, but then again I didn't get a chance to ride, either.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah, I definitely have a lower than everage heat tolerance, but not that low, yours is probably higher than average. I can walk around here in short sleeves and it's hot and muggy but still tolerable, I do it every day. Plus you're usually in and out of A/C'ed building or cars during the day which helps. But, throw on some boots, armored mesh jacket, gauntlet gloves and a full helmet and it's pretty much torture in city traffic. You bake in the gear at the lights. All the car exhaust adds to the heat too. And it's the stop and go traffic everywhere that kills you. Riding at 80 across the alley to Naples or something is tolerable, but not really that enjoyablle compared to winter. Now if I were riding nice curvy and hilly roads with nice scenery like in Tallahasse, that would make up for the heat and it would be fun.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Yeah, that's true enough about my tolerance for heat. I haven't had shorts on yet this summer, save for when I'm diving. I've been doing a lot of yard work during the days on the weekends, but it's jeans and a long sleeve shirt for me. I'd rather be hot than have to deal with bugs.

Of course the riding up here does make up for it. Tallahassee has some nice canopy roads with some good shade, and riding next to the Gulf Coast brings its share of breeze. It's noticeably cooler along the coast. I'd hate to ride much farther south than Ocala. I don't believe there's a curve or a canopy road anywhere down there. I mean, sure, I complain about our roads, but damn--those down south suck much worse.

G

·
nickolai said:
Yeah, that's true enough about my tolerance for heat. I haven't had shorts on yet this summer, save for when I'm diving. I've been doing a lot of yard work during the days on the weekends, but it's jeans and a long sleeve shirt for me. I'd rather be hot than have to deal with bugs.

Of course the riding up here does make up for it. Tallahassee has some nice canopy roads with some good shade, and riding next to the Gulf Coast brings its share of breeze. It's noticeably cooler along the coast. I'd hate to ride much farther south than Ocala. I don't believe there's a curve or a canopy road anywhere down there. I mean, sure, I complain about our roads, but damn--those down south suck much worse.
Have you ridden down to the west where Dennis hit yet?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts