Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's too hot and humid to ride in the summer here in south florida uness you want to ride around in shorts and a t-shirt. Sunday was in the 90's with 70 percent humidity, all day and most of the night, not just at the peak of the afternoon. Even in shorts, it's brutally hot in July and August, and May, June, Sep, and Oct are almost as bad. Plus, there are barely any curvy roads so everyone either rides around on cruisers or stunts around in the straights on sport bikes, not much in between. Our good riding season is basically November to April, not year round. Still, it's a good place to live for many other reasons.

·
Registered
165 Posts
nickolai said:
Candyasses. I'm surrounded by a bunch of candyasses. Won't ride in winter because it's too cold, and won't ride in summer because it's too hot. I mean, WTF, do you guys ride during that happy few minutes in Spring where the weather's just right?

:wink:
Obviously you've never tried to ride in full gear in the south Florida long hot summers before. Unless you weigh 150 soaking wet or something, it's brutal on the body's cooling system. There's a world of difference between south Florida and Tallahassee or St Pete weather wise if you look at the whole year.

Randy O. I sent that pic to my riding buddy who's from Maine but lives in Miami now. I can't tell you how many times he's told me about riding the Kancamangus highway on his bike with one of his kids on the back. We're gonna do a ride to Maine in the fall.

·
Registered
165 Posts
nickolai said:
stingray said:
Obviously you've never tried to ride in full gear in the south Florida long hot summers before. Unless you weigh 150 soaking wet or something, it's brutal on the body's cooling system. There's a world of difference between south Florida and Tallahassee or St Pete weather wise if you look at the whole year.
I've ridden in full gear on a 100+ day (complete with high humidity, but I don't remember what it was). I'm sure I can handle the day-to-day low to mid 90s, albeit with a little higher humidity, down south.

There is a difference, but it's not that much.
It's way more than you think, I've lived in Gainesville and Orlando as well as Austin Texas, my brother lives near St Pete, ny sister lived in Tallahassee. I know from experience

I can do it too for a day or two but it's not worth it. Who wants to be totally miserable and look like crap when you get where you're going. It get's really old after a month. There's a huge difference when the city you're in has 50 times more traffic, is 10 times bigger, and there's a red light at every corner and the hot humid weather lasts most of the year with very little relief at night. Weighing 230 lbs and being cold blooded doesn't help either. I can ride on the highway or back roads (we don't have many here) with a mesh jacket if I'm constantly moving in the summer. It's not that much fun but I can do it. But in the city, it's almost a certain heat stroke if you try. 99.9% of the people on bikes here are in shorts and t-shirts in the late spring/summer/early fall. You pretty much never see anyone in full gear. They would almost all certainly have heat strokes. Also the sun is more intense here than in Tallahasse, and it heats up your gear, moreso than you realize. It bakes you. Don't get me wrong, the weather is ok here for normal life, just not for full gear on a bike riding in the city more than half the year.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah, I definitely have a lower than everage heat tolerance, but not that low, yours is probably higher than average. I can walk around here in short sleeves and it's hot and muggy but still tolerable, I do it every day. Plus you're usually in and out of A/C'ed building or cars during the day which helps. But, throw on some boots, armored mesh jacket, gauntlet gloves and a full helmet and it's pretty much torture in city traffic. You bake in the gear at the lights. All the car exhaust adds to the heat too. And it's the stop and go traffic everywhere that kills you. Riding at 80 across the alley to Naples or something is tolerable, but not really that enjoyablle compared to winter. Now if I were riding nice curvy and hilly roads with nice scenery like in Tallahasse, that would make up for the heat and it would be fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts