Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Few people want to ride up there in the tundra, so as a result you pay higher prices for the bikes you do get.

We are actually blessed with year round good riding weather, so it makes more people want to get out there and ride and buy bikes and what not.

It sure is nice living in the tropics. I think I'll go back and hang out in my tiki hut while I sip my margarita while my many bikini-clad lady friends feed me kiwi. :wink:

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
RandyO said:
you have good riding weather in the dead of winter, that's about it, the rest of the year, Florida is only fit for sitting in an air conditioned building or cage
I don't mind the heat. I actually prefer the middle of Florida summer over something moderate, like 70s or something. I love the heat.

Either way, I'd rather have an uncomfortably hot summer than an uncomfortably cold winter.

So, it's good that we live where we do.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
+1 on California. If only it wasn't so expensive, and if only they weren't so strict with their laws.

I guess each region has its advantages and disadvantages.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
syntheticton said:
yep... that is true.. so ideally I would like a place near the Smokies for fall riding, a place in FL for winter riding, a place in CA for Summer with "Bay Watch"'esk scenery and maybe a place near AZ or CO in spring so I can ride to mountains on motorcycle with my snow board strapped on back where I will play in snbw for short time :lol:
good call! :lol:

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Candyasses. I'm surrounded by a bunch of candyasses. Won't ride in winter because it's too cold, and won't ride in summer because it's too hot. I mean, WTF, do you guys ride during that happy few minutes in Spring where the weather's just right?

:wink:

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
stingray said:
Obviously you've never tried to ride in full gear in the south Florida long hot summers before. Unless you weigh 150 soaking wet or something, it's brutal on the body's cooling system. There's a world of difference between south Florida and Tallahassee or St Pete weather wise if you look at the whole year.
I've ridden in full gear on a 100+ day (complete with high humidity, but I don't remember what it was). I'm sure I can handle the day-to-day low to mid 90s, albeit with a little higher humidity, down south.

There is a difference, but it's not that much.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Actually, you have the potential to be better off in full gear if you do it right. If you're really hot, then take along a couple of bottles of water. Pour some water on your shirt underneath your gear and it'll keep you cool for awhile, since it has the same effect as sweat. When it evaporates, pour a little more water on and you'll be fine for awhile. This should help out a lot with the stop and go city traffic.

I've never had a problem on the open road, but the water deal helps there too.

Riding in really hot weather with no gear on will dehydrate you really quick, and dehydration is considered to be a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
This is just a difference in heat tolerance, then. I've just never been in a situation where it was just too hot to ride in. I didn't think it was too hot just walking around in the Miami area when I went earlier this summer, but then again I didn't get a chance to ride, either.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Yeah, that's true enough about my tolerance for heat. I haven't had shorts on yet this summer, save for when I'm diving. I've been doing a lot of yard work during the days on the weekends, but it's jeans and a long sleeve shirt for me. I'd rather be hot than have to deal with bugs.

Of course the riding up here does make up for it. Tallahassee has some nice canopy roads with some good shade, and riding next to the Gulf Coast brings its share of breeze. It's noticeably cooler along the coast. I'd hate to ride much farther south than Ocala. I don't believe there's a curve or a canopy road anywhere down there. I mean, sure, I complain about our roads, but damn--those down south suck much worse.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Bladeforger said:
Have you ridden down to the west where Dennis hit yet?
I'm staying with my parents over summer, so right now I'm along the coast in St. Joe, right between Apalach and Panama City. We didn't get anything, but they're condemning a lot of houses out there at Cape San Blas. Apalach and on up to Carabelle also got it pretty bad, and St. Marks was flooded. This was mostly water damage, though. Part of 98 were washed away, water in homes, that sort of stuff.

I haven't made it any farther west than PC, though.

Around here it could've been a lot worse than it was.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Bladeforger said:
Lucky you! St Joe is a pretty place, in spite of some industrial stuff cluttering up the view.

Yeah, I had heard that there was a lot of damage along 98, but I didn't know how far. Lots of pretty riding where you are.
Eh. The industrial stuff gives several of my friends (and friend's parents) jobs, so I can't be too critical of it. It is a bit tough to boost tourism when you come over the bridge and see a chemical plant on the left and the paper mill on the right.

They tore the paper mill down a few years ago, though, so I don't think the chemical plant will stay there for too much longer. I hear rumors that they're talking about relocating somewhere away from town, but so far it's unsubstantiated. Who knows?

They are talking about developing the old paper mill site. They want to turn it into a pedestrian-friendly shopping center, and maybe put some condos on it or something. I guess I'm the only one who thinks that's a bad idea. :?

In Highland View about half of 98 caved in, but they've repaired it by now. We got off pretty lucky. I haven't been near Eastpoint personally, but they were showing some footage on T.V. of it and the roads were trashed there, too. I think they're coming along fairly well on the rebuilds.

Yeah, the riding here is pretty nice. There's a little bit of everything. If you want beaches, it's there. If you want swamps, it's there. I like it here.

Hey, do you make it up this way often? If you're in the neighborhood, look me up and we'll go riding sometime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts