Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to Key West in November and I'm lookin for some good places to eat, see, etc. I have a list of a few places to eat, things to do, FISHING (#1 on the list, hahaha). Anyone have recommendations for good food and entertainment.

The things I know about so far from researching:

Sunset festival
fishing
the island to the nw of key west that is now a wildlife sanctuary
Hemingway house

I found a bed and breakfast that is highly rated from Tripadvisor.com in Key west that I'm probably going to book. After the last vacation, I'd rather spend a little more on housing since a rental car is not totally necessary on the island with the trolley and the bed and breakfast having bicycles at no charge. I will have snorkel gear, that is on the list but I wouldn't mind some advise on where to go, etc. I'm planning on spending 5-7 days down there. The owner of the bed and breakfast is a boat captain so I plan on using him for the day of charter fishing, planning on doing wreck and reef fishing. No deep sea this trip, I just want to catch some grouper and have a great time.

Please offer up ideas, etc.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
You are just shy of missing Fantasy Fest.... thats always a good time (last weekend of October for Halloween Mardi Gras).

You listed some staples which are great, another great thing to check out is the Dry Tortugas national park (you'll need to sign up for a boat to take you there). You'll love how small and quaint Duval St. is along with the restaurants and nightlife (which might be slow in November), and I recommend you rent a scooter while you are there, its a great way to get around and its cheap enough. Key West is big...for the keys, but youll instantly realize how small of a place it is. Go check out the 90 miles to Cuba marker, and keep on fishing, scuba diving and if you want a nice beach drive up to the other keys north of Key West (15-30 min ride).

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
So I'm going to Key West in November and I'm lookin for some good places to eat, see, etc. I have a list of a few places to eat, things to do, FISHING (#1 on the list, hahaha). Anyone have recommendations for good food and entertainment.

The things I know about so far from researching:

Sunset festival
fishing
the island to the nw of key west that is now a wildlife sanctuary
Hemingway house

I found a bed and breakfast that is highly rated from Tripadvisor.com in Key west that I'm probably going to book. After the last vacation, I'd rather spend a little more on housing since a rental car is not totally necessary on the island with the trolley and the bed and breakfast having bicycles at no charge. I will have snorkel gear, that is on the list but I wouldn't mind some advise on where to go, etc. I'm planning on spending 5-7 days down there. The owner of the bed and breakfast is a boat captain so I plan on using him for the day of charter fishing, planning on doing wreck and reef fishing. No deep sea this trip, I just want to catch some grouper and have a great time.

Please offer up ideas, etc.
(Ricky's) Blue Heaven restaurant is fun.

Take a Conch Train tour around the island...touristy but informative if you get a good guide/driver.

Don't miss the guy with the trained cat show at Mallory Square if he is still around.

Drivers there suck, lots of tourists concentrating on anything but driving. Be careful if you rent a scooter. I saw one get rear-ended... by a motorcycle no less.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
That's funny.
Not really. The scooter guy had no helmet and went head first into the curb. Lots of blood. Don't know how he eventually fared but he looked pretty bad when he was laying there. Happened on Duval Street across from Fast Buck Freddies.

We (there were five of us) stayed here last November: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacation...OL_PARKING-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

Quiet (except for roosters), nicely appointed, really nice experience but a long walk to the center of action.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
My wife and I took a couple hour kayak tour when we visited Key West back in 2001 and really enjoyed it! Beautiful environment, and very cool paddling around the tight waterways. At the end of the tour, we handed our camera to the guide to take back to base so we could swim around in the water after. Unfortunately, we left without retrieving the camera/photos, and never got it back. :(

I don't remember what company we used but here is a link to Lazy Dog. We were on a BMW K75 and went LA to Key West, and back home via Yellow Stone. For us, it was a 30 day trip of a life time. Have a great trip Ranger! :fiddy:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've rented scooters for years and never had an issue, getting rear ended could happen anywhere, you wont get past 30mph on a rental anyway. One of my best friends was coast guard there for a few years so we used to go all the time (I'm a south FL native), say hi to all the rastas for me.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not really. The scooter guy had no helmet and went head first into the curb. Lots of blood. Don't know how he eventually fared but he looked pretty bad when he was laying there. Happened on Duval Street across from Fast Buck Freddies.

We (there were five of us) stayed here last November: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Vacation...OL_PARKING-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

Quiet (except for roosters), nicely appointed, really nice experience but a long walk to the center of action.
That sucks, your right.

I did not see that rental before when I was looking.

Staying at a B&B recommended off Tripadvisor.com.

I think I have found the charter for fishing that looks reasonable and comes recommended. Also thinking of doing a sunset cruise/dolphin tour along with Tortugas. I would like to kayak but I'm not going to schedule it until I get down there.

Thanks for the info.

R

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
You're going to have a great time!

I've yet to show my girlfriend Key West, we have friends who own a house in Key Largo, but that's as far as I've shown her. Take some pictures in the Tortugas and enjoy your trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts