Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I do that on my 03 SV? I vaugely remember seeing a directional arrow on the front wheel, but the thing looks so symmetrical and the rotors are the same on both sides so I wasn't sure. Is it safe? Or should I just fork out the money to flip my tire? Thanks!

N

·
0 Posts
There's a directional arrow on both the tire and the wheel. The speedo drive is only on the left side of the wheel unless it's a SV1K.

When radials first came out for cars they were supposed to be rotated front to rear on the same side so that the direction of rotation was never reversed; IIRC, the story was that reversing the rotation mid-life would cause accelerated wear and a possible blowout. I think that may have been debunked, though.

BTW, why would you want to do this?

:)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Both the tire and the rim are "directional", therefore nether can be flipped.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most tracks I run are clockwise and have very few left turns. It's pretty common practice to flip a tire to get another day out of it, and Pilot Power Races from what most people experience work just fine turning the wrong way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I say go for it, keep detailed notes, and let us know.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Directional tires are more for rain than anything. Ususally they'll work just fine the other way in the dry. The wheel... no idea.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
vimkgt said:
Most tracks I run are clockwise and have very few left turns. It's pretty common practice to flip a tire to get another day out of it, and Pilot Power Races from what most people experience work just fine turning the wrong way.
but you wouldn't want to dio that with rains

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
BTW, why would you want to do this?
i think his problem is that the tire is already on the rim backwards, so he's asking if he can run the rim around backwards to make the tire run forward. obviously you can't flip the rim because the speedo drive must be on the left. and it's not a good idea to run the tire backwards if it gets wet at all.

i say you should remount the tire before you get into trouble.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ridesideways said:
i think his problem is that the tire is already on the rim backwards, so he's asking if he can run the rim around backwards to make the tire run forward. obviously you can't flip the rim because the speedo drive must be on the left. and it's not a good idea to run the tire backwards if it gets wet at all.

i say you should remount the tire before you get into trouble.
Speedo Drive. I completely forgot about that, so it isn't exactly symmetric. I guess I can't flip the front wheel then, just the tire. It is actually on the right way right now, but I want to put it on backwards to use up the left side tread on the track.

Thanks!

BTW, to ls1, when are you taking that thing out to the track? I just had my SV out for the first time and it was a rockin time, chasing around R1's and such, having them pull 15 bike lengths on me on a straight and reeling em back in everywhere else :p

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ill probably be out sometime next year. Figure by then Ill be more comfortable with it. I need to buy new tires for the track though. I put a nail through the rear, and while its okay for the street, I wouldnt trust it on the track.

B

·
0 Posts
I've done it many times, never had a problem running tires backwards to get all the wear out of each set!
In the rain you need good tread running the proper direction for sure.

T

·
0 Posts
even if rim is symetrical you should not turn it around.there is reason for arrow,and speedo is not it.it is bearings.

N

·
0 Posts
TWF said:
"even if rim is symetrical you should not turn it around.there is reason for arrow,and speedo is not it.it is bearings."
Why would the bearings be directional?

:)

T

·
0 Posts
bearings alone are not directional,the way you put them in is.
on front wheel left one goes first,on rear right goes first.that means oposite bearing will not touch wheel but spacer.there will be some clearance.if you do it backwards wheel will be offset for that clearance.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
years ago when I was a service manager at a Suzuki shop, tire people had told me the reason not to flip tires around was because of the way the tires were constructed. The loads on the front and rear tires are opposite(braking/accelerating) the belting could seperate if the tires were run backwards. That's why on some tires you see arrows pointing both ways, ones for front fitment ones for rear. hope this helps 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts