Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do I know if I'm "flicking" my bike. I'm a new rider and I just can't seem to wrap my head around the term. Thoughts? Scott
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think "flickable refers to how nimble the bike feels or as others would put it, how fast the bike turns in, or the overall responsiveness/ handling.

That sound about right?
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess. So how do I know if I'm flicking it? Scott
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! I think. Perhaps a better question would have been, "How do I know if I'm doing my turns correctly?"
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just love detailed and wordy responses. What about countersteering?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
push the bars to the left and the bike will lean to the left......I know, you would think that the biek would go right but it goes left...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
psalm69 said:
I guess. So how do I know if I'm flicking it? Scott
its just slang.....if you ride a chopper you will know the opposite of flicking it.

countersteering is the physics of how your bike steers.  you do it without even realizing it.  at slow speeds (parking lot) you "turn" your handle bars to the left (or push on the right bar) to go left but once the wheels start spinning at a certain speed you actually push on the left bar to go left.  that is counter steering.

the easier you bike does this...the more flickable it is.
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Flickable" would be a reference to how readily a bike can change attitudes from straight up to cranked over and vice versa. A big, heavy, tall bike (high center of mass) is typically less inclined to roll in quickly than something lower and lighter.

I don't know that I've seen the term used as a verb before- it's usually used as an adjective. IMO, "flicking it in"  refers to snapping the bike over rapidly (high roll rate), but it isn't really a specific technique, as countersteering is.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
786 Posts
oh sure, give him a good, wordy answer! Gees, now everyone will be coming in here asking questions about TRE mods, and "My bike makes noise when it's running."
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice response. I know about countersteering and I also realize that I do it. All flickable means is how quickly the bike responds to a given countersteering effrot?

Also, I'm still not sure about how well I'm executing my turns. Are good turns something that can be phyiscally felt or is it a matter of not sliding the rear tire or putting the bike down?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
book: "sport riding techniques" by- nick ienatsch

edumacate yo-self
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
psalm69 said:
Are good turns something that can be phyiscally felt or is it a matter of not sliding the rear tire or putting the bike down?
A good turn is any turn you take successfully. A bad turn turn is the opposite. ??? ::) ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
wonderjosh said:
book: "sport riding techniques" by- nick ienatsch

edumacate yo-self
best way to spend a non riding day is reading that book.  

your question about what a good turn is, is the whole essence of sport riding. It is defined by volumes of text and years and years of experience.  enjoy your life of discovering what a "good turn is" :D
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
canus said:
A good turn is any turn you take successfully. A bad turn turn is the opposite. ??? ::) ;D
The same kind of thing went through my head; the definition of a good landing is any one you can walk away from!

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
psalm69 said:
Nice response. I know about countersteering and I also realize that I do it. All flickable means is how quickly the bike responds to a given countersteering effrot?

Also, I'm still not sure about how well I'm executing my turns. Are good turns something that can be phyiscally felt or is it a matter of not sliding the rear tire or putting the bike down?
Question A) yup. Basically, it's how maneuverable a bike is.

Question B) Damned right. You can definitely feel a good turn-- it's a turn that where you're comfortable throughout, the tires feel planted and you hit the pre-turn slow down, get your line, hit the throttle on the apex and get out clean.

It's an amazing feeling when you hit it. It doesn't have to be fast, it just has to be done right. For myself, these are yet other occasions that I wind up screaming in adolescent glee inside my helmet.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top