Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there an advantage to running flatsides on a stock motor? I have the camp swap with a stock pipe. I am wondering if Flatsides will add to a pretty much stock motor.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sure, but you will not see as much improvement without the addition of the exhaust.

A

·
0 Posts
that link doesn`t work anymore :( found some threads but i don`t think i found the right one

T

·
0 Posts
GetnJgyWitit said:
is there an advantage to running flatsides on a stock motor? I have the camp swap with a stock pipe. I am wondering if Flatsides will add to a pretty much stock motor.
get pipe first.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I run them on my bike with a full exhaust and cams basically for flow. The 41mms are a bit large for this application. 39s would probably be better. When I whack the throttle on the dyno it sputters like heck from <4.5k to 5.5k and then takes off. There is a big jump in AFR to match that. I love my flat slides, but definitely do some flow mods to get your $800 worth!
ac

T

·
0 Posts
avc8130 said:
I run them on my bike with a full exhaust and cams basically for flow. The 41mms are a bit large for this application. 39s would probably be better. When I whack the throttle on the dyno it sputters like heck from <4.5k to 5.5k and then takes off. There is a big jump in AFR to match that. I love my flat slides, but definitely do some flow mods to get your $800 worth!
ac
you dont whack the throttle with flatslides.you have to roll it or it will sputter.

·
Registered
505 Posts
And think how much stronger your right hand is now that you've been getting that daily "workout" with the stiff throttle pull of the flatslides! ;D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Zoran,

You commented that the flatslide pull can be made easier. My pull is o.k. but considerably more than stock. Got any tips? I just lubed them with a Molybdenum based cable lube and that helped but any reduction in effort is welcome. Wanted to use Dri-Slide but no one in my area carries it, as that brand is mostly an industrial lubricant. Will pick some up on my way out of town soon.

Thanks,
Del

T

·
0 Posts
3 places you need to lube,inside throttle housing where tube rubs against,between bar and tube and inside 2 in to one cable junction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"3 places you need to lube,inside throttle housing where tube rubs against,between bar and tube and inside 2 in to one cable junction."

Good, I got it right yesterday, then. When time is available, I will pull the whole shebang apart and clean the cable's internals a little. Nothing vigorous chemical-wise, just the usual Kerosene.

I am running open stacks (the long blue ones.....50-60mm), so debris collects around the carbs like flypaper attracts flies. Yes, I am making a fiberglass airbox for it this summer, just gotta wait for a series of days off to spearhead the project. Here is hoping my motor lasts that long :0 Should be fun making a mask for the box, etc. Planning to make it somewhat of a forced box and may integrate reed flappers to ensure negative CFM does not become a problem, such as occurs in large V-Twins like my Tiller.

Thanks Zoran,
Del

T

·
0 Posts
every 2 or 3 race weekends I take my carbs out,apart and clean everything.relube and install back.
for housing I use lithium grease in spray can.for tube/bar and cables I use liquid cable lube.I found this small tube in auto store and it is like black water,it works great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
TWF said:
every 2 or 3 race weekends I take my carbs out,apart and clean everything.relube and install back.
for housing I use lithium grease in spray can.for tube/bar and cables I use liquid cable lube.I found this small tube in auto store and it is like black water,it works great.
Show me this black magic stuff next weekend. I started thinking FI after getting a blister on the throttle hand last weekend. I'll just use all purpose grease for now and hope that helps.

T

·
0 Posts
did you twist throttle on my bike?everybody gets pissed how easy it is :)
I got some new cables,improved and will give you set.remind me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts