Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, a note: I call this route "Dave's Route" since DrummerDave introduced me to it, and it's since become my favorite jaunt. Good curves, nice straights, pavement is pretty good everywhere except for a 10-mile section (out of about 50 miles). I just wish I didn't have to take the interstate to get to the starting point. So, thanks, Dave! 8)

So, without further adieu, here's my "consolation for not making it to Laguna Seca" ride.

Warming up the tires: Quick run through Iroquois Park, planting a quick private geocache for my wife to find later that day. :wink:

South overlook, Iroquois Park, in a parking lot across from a hairpin:

Same spot, different position. Across the road from this point is a set of steps up to a gazebo with a nice overlook of the bluffs south of town.

Krupps Point, Iroquois Park. The engraving on the stone under my helmet reads "Krupps Point 1889." This park is on a hill in the southern part of the city of Louisville, and is one of four parks that the city hired Frederick Law Olmstead's landscape architecture firm to create in the 1880s. This is on a section of the park that is one-way only, in a hairpin turn.

Same spot, different angle.

Okay, out of town. First, I'm kicking myself that I didn't get a shot of the statue out front of the New Albany police department...Dave will know what I'm talking about. :twisted: I'll get one another day.

I stopped off at a school bus turnaround early along the Corydon Pike. This shows some gentle turns.

Same spot, back in the other direction:

Here, I pulled over in the short passing zone on the climbing part of the Corydon Pike. Shooting up the hill:

Back down the hill, the way I came:

Same direction as above, but I crossed the road and got low so you can get a better idea of the road's camber. Really, these pictures can do no justice to this road, because the curves are blocked by trees and there are no good stopping points to show them.

From the position above, I turned around and shot my bike on the other (high) side of the road:

The overlook at the top of the Pike, showing the bluffs near the Ohio River.

An old antique store on the other side of the road from that overlook.

Cool old building, next door to that antique store.

Now back in the saddle, through some twisties, and spotting one whitetail fawn, who ran into the road about a mile up ahead. I saw it WELL in time to slow down, but it was in such a big hurry to turn around and run off the road that it slipped and fell, then recovered and hopped into the woods. I stopped in the town of Elizabeth to take some pictures of this memorial. It's a chainsaw sculpture in wood, two firefighters saving an infant with an angel looking on.

Another angle. This one you can see the firefighter's feet sticking through the ladder, and the flames below the other firefighter's feet.

At this point, I also checked my GPS. Notice anything? Don't tell the wife. ;)

I moseyed along a bit further, and stopped to take this couple of pictures in a corner where the main road (IN-337) makes a 20mph-marked turn to the right, while other side roads branch off. Check the road camber, and the grit along the outside lane. This is along the cruddy 10 miles of the ride, where there are lots of tar snakes etc. in the road.

My bike parked where I took the previous picture from. The arrow says, "No, really, the road DOES turn!"

IN-337 in the town of Corydon. The county fairgrounds are to the left, and there was some sort of event going on there.

The same road, back in the direction I came from.

Cool old house to the right of where I'm parked in the previous picture. They still had their bunting up from July 4th, and I thought it was a nice picture.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
213 Posts
I did notice your average speed was 25! :lol:

·
Registered
622 Posts
The link does not work. But nice ride report.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think you want "without further ado"

What you said up there is goodbye in French... Just tryin to help a brother out. Cool road and pics :thumbsup:

·
Registered
973 Posts
dude im sso jealous, i did an 80 miler yesterday and its mostly open highway and some along the beach roads, but nothing like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts