Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For almost 5 years I have been running my flat slide carbs with no push cable (the cable that closes the throttle). There has always been plenty of spring to snap the throttle closed. The throttle is also pretty rough to turn. I am wondering if I should add the other cable. Will it help or hurt throttle effort? Right now the throttle is free to turn past fully closed which is kind of annoying (apparently not that bad since I have lived with it for 5 years). What is everyone else doing?
ac

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Mine are smooth to turn and I only have the pull cable, no push cable. I'm willing to bet you need a new cable or possibly some lube in it. Also check your throttle tube as well. The spring pull is pretty hard and the plastic throttle tube could have worn away a bit.

Adding the push cable will not affect throttle action, you shouldn't notice any increased effort or decreased effort.

My throttle rotates just a fraction back when it's fully closed, due to bending the cables are the carbs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'd be a little concerned not having the return cable incase the carbs get stuck in the wide open position. The only real use I see for the second cable is to return the butterflies to the closed position incase something gets stuck, but that doesnt really matter because you can pull the clutch and hit the kill switch I guess. I've been in cars where the throttle has stuck wide open. Its not a good scenerio at all.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I'd be a little concerned not having the return cable incase the carbs get stuck in the wide open position. The only real use I see for the second cable is to return the butterflies to the closed position incase something gets stuck, but that doesnt really matter because you can pull the clutch and hit the kill switch I guess. I've been in cars where the throttle has stuck wide open. Its not a good scenerio at all.
Of all the times I've heard someone mention the throttle stuck open scenario, I've never once heard of it actually happening to someone with flatslides. And like you said, there's always the clutch and the kill switch.

I run mine without the second cable too, and don't plan on changing that anytime soon. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts