Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing my front tire today, and I noticed a bend in my front wheel. It isn't too bad. The wheel is 2.3 mm wider at the point where it is bent (Suzuki spec is for 2 mm max runout including any play in the bearing.) I'm not worried about the bead on the new tire sealing, but I'm wondering if the bent wheel would have any effect on tire wear or anything even after balancing the wheel.

The Michelin Pilot Road 2 front tire is unevenly worn. Is this type of uneven wear typically due to the wheel being out of balance? I'm pretty sure the wheel bent about 1300 km back. The tire was already worn down the wear bars at the time.

Any advice on bending this wheel back? I've tried using some blocks of wood, a mallet/axe, with a hair dryer to heat it up. I don't have too much in the way of specialized tools. Should I bring it to a shop, or just install and balance the new tire and not worry about the bent wheel?

·
Super Moderator
9,543 Posts
Definitely get it fixed/replaced. The front tire, traction and balance, on a motorcycle are too important.

Reactions: Soulspinner

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
There are companies that say they can fix bike wheels, so check in your area. I have a similar wheel, but there's nothing near me so I just got a replacement. Some day I might fix it.

While the bent one was in, I had pretty bad shaking at speed. That can't be good for anything.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can probably get a used wheel for the cost of repair. Unlike many types of steel, aluminum does not respond well to being bent and bent back. Often leaving small cracks, understand if it was an expensive aftermarket wheel but for stock used might be a better option.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The problem with buying a used front wheel is, how do you know it's not bent as well?
I have the same issue and my front wheel damage isn't even visible with the naked eye. However, beyond 100mph the fork stanchions begin to shake violently, so I definitely need to repair the wheel. Haven't found a reputable shop yet however.

·
very big dumb
9,253 Posts
The problem with buying a used front wheel is, how do you know it's not bent as well?
I have the same issue and my front wheel damage isn't even visible with the naked eye. However, beyond 100mph the fork stanchions begin to shake violently, so I definitely need to repair the wheel. Haven't found a reputable shop yet however.
i got a really good one near me, but they're slow and not cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My motorcycle shop referred me to a local shop that fixes wheels. They quoted me $250 CAD (~$200 USD) to fix it. I decided to just mount the new tire and get it balanced. The shop actually only used three 1/8th ounze weights to balance it, fewer than with my last tire.

It doesn't seem to be noticeably unbalanced at all at normal highway speeds. If I do notice poor balance at higher speeds, I might try some balance beads. In the mean time, I'll look for a deal on a new wheel, but I'm not too worried about using the original wheel for now.

·
very big dumb
9,253 Posts
Can you share the info? I'm running your silver wheel on my black frame, wouldn't mind fixing my black wheel so it looks nice and matched up again :)
pioneer road steel fabrication
Address: 1970 Pioneer Rd Suite F, Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006

Phone: (215) 675-1898

but seriously, just buy a wheel. it will be cheaper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts